Does supplying this amount of personal information by email leave me exposed to ID theft?

merlotsmum
merlotsmum Posts: 61
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 23 January at 12:05PM in Consumer rights
I am not sure if I am in the correct place to offer advice. 

I have been with a trade organisation for nearly 5 years were I pay in a monthly subscription and can get a set amount of money each year for certain health treatments.

All been great, the refunds were by cheque (a bit of a pain) and have moved to bank transfers - all good.  The sent me a one page pdf form that they asked me to complete and return via an unsecure email address.  The information they wanted (they already have a lot of this on their records) is:
  • Full name
  • Address
  • Membership Number
  • Mobile Number
  • Date of Birth
  • National Insurance Number
  • Bank Details
I am very nervous sending all of this via unsecured email.  I have asked them if there is a more secure way and await their response.  They were very clear that they will only accept an electronic copy via email, not via the post or telephone.

Am I being over cautious? I feel that with that level of information I might as well give them the key to my house and car, as I am sure this leaves a risk of identity theft? 

I have been on the ICO website (the live chat has been down) to get guidance but a little lost.  I feel there are far to many identifiers of who I am on one page.

Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Many thanks,
MM

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,703
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could ask to see their data protection policy, if it is not already available.

You could send them a password protected document with all that info and a password via another method, or another email if nothing else suitable.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,287
    Forumite

I have been with a trade organisation for nearly 5 years were I pay in a monthly subscription and can get a set amount of money each year for certain health treatments.

All been great, the refunds were by cheque (a bit of a pain) and have moved to bank transfers - all good.  The sent me a one page pdf form that they asked me to complete and return via an unsecure email address.  The information they wanted (they already have a lot of this on their records) is:
    • Full name
    • Address
    • Membership Number
    • Mobile Number
    • Date of Birth
    • Bank Details
    Am I being over cautious? I feel that with that level of information I might as well give them the key to my house and car

Really? How is anyone going to steal your house and/or car with that information? Presumably your "bank details" are just account number and sort code (the things visible on your bank cards and cheques), not passwords etc?
  • merlotsmum
    Forumite
    You could ask to see their data protection policy, if it is not already available.

You could send them a password protected document with all that info and a password via another method, or another email if nothing else suitable.
    Thank you so much for a prompt response.  The password protect is a great idea, thank you for that 😊
  • merlotsmum
    Forumite
    user1977 said:

• Full name
    • Address
    • Membership Number
    • Mobile Number
    • Date of Birth
    • Bank Details
    Am I being over cautious? I feel that with that level of information I might as well give them the key to my house and car

Really? How is anyone going to steal your house and/or car with that information? Presumably your "bank details" are just account number and sort code (the things visible on your bank cards and cheques), not passwords etc?
    The comment about keys to house and car was describing how I felt about giving so much information on one unsecure document, not that I thought for one moment this actually happen.  More an off the cuff comment but thank you for your concern.

Both my in-laws have been subject to identity theft, so wanting to avoid this happening to me as it was an awful time.  I will take the advice from another poster about pass wording.  Thank you for taking the time to post. MM

• oldernonethewiser
    Forumite
    user1977 said:

• Full name
    • Address
    • Membership Number
    • Mobile Number
    • Date of Birth
    • Bank Details

The more personal information people have the more they can do with it.

There is no information on my bank card other than my name.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• merlotsmum
    Forumite
    user1977 said:

• Full name
    • Address
    • Membership Number
    • Mobile Number
    • Date of Birth
    • Bank Details

Same with my bank card, name only.

Agreed, the more information a potential fraudster has the more opportunity create no end of issues sadly.

Many thanks
    MM
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,676
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    user1977 said:

• Full name
    • Address
    • Membership Number
    • Mobile Number
    • Date of Birth
    • Bank Details

Really? Does it have a magnetic stripe?  :o
  • oldernonethewiser
    Forumite
    Yes really. 

Doesn't have any obvious magnetic strip so perhaps not as they are being phased out. 

• RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Posts: 851
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What do you mean ‘unsecured email’? 
  • oldernonethewiser
    Forumite
    Unencrypted in any way. 

Someone acessing the email can access any info. 

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure