Country court or high court when enforcing a court judgment

I have won my small claim with the court awarding the sum of £5000 for debt and £1292 for costs amounting together to the sum of £6292.  The gov website says the country court can only recover up to £5000? Does that limit include costs? If so does that mean I have to apply to the high court to enforce the order? Thank you.


  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    You would have to use High Court. If you approach an HCEO, they will do the application for you.

    Are you sure that is the best way to put pressure on the debtor to pay? Do they have easily available assets worth over 6k?

    If not you might want to look at another route.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards