Tax Residency for OECD CRS Individual Self-Certification Form

Sniper999
Sniper999 Posts: 31 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I find Part 2 of the CRS Individual Self-Certification form very confusing and wonder if any of you completed it successfully. I was born in Ireland and moved to the UK when I was 16 years old. I have never earned income in Ireland and all my income has been earned in the UK. I now collect the state pension and a modest occupational pension. I do not have tax liability anywhere but the UK. My confusion is about the TINN and if I should put my NI number or not and the reason

Is there a way of getting free tax advice on this. 

I plan to put nothing in the TINN box and to state the reason as C. 

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,636 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sniper999 said:
    I find Part 2 of the CRS Individual Self-Certification form very confusing and wonder if any of you completed it successfully. I was born in Ireland and moved to the UK when I was 16 years old. I have never earned income in Ireland and all my income has been earned in the UK. I now collect the state pension and a modest occupational pension. I do not have tax liability anywhere but the UK. My confusion is about the TINN and if I should put my NI number or not and the reason

If you look again, you'll see that as you are NOT resident for tax purposes outside the UK, you don't need to provide a TIN and can just leave blank.

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    So why do you need to complete the form at all, or am I missing something?
  • Sniper999
    Marcon said:
    Sniper999 said:

If you look again, you'll see that as you are NOT resident for tax purposes outside the UK, you don't need to provide a TIN and can just leave blank.

Thanks for replying, Marcon.

So, Nothing under TIN  (got that)

If no TIN is required,  do I leave that next column blank, or do I enter Reason C - No TIN is required.

• Sniper999
    pinnks said:
    It's an OECD requirement. I was sent the form to complete after I applied for a new savings account, It needs to be completed and accepted before the account is set up. 

Why?
    "To help protect tax systems, governments around the world are introducing a new information-gathering and
    reporting requirement for financial institutions which is known as the Common Reporting Standard (‘the CRS’).
    Completing this form will give us accurate and up to date information about your tax residency. If your
    circumstances change, please let us know as soon as possible and we’ll update our records.
    For joint accounts, each account holder needs to complete a form and we may need this even if you’ve
    already given information relating to the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) as this is a separate
    regulation.

If you need advice or help completing the form, we recommend you get professional help as we can’t give tax advice."

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,636 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sniper999 said:
    Marcon said:
    Sniper999 said:

Thanks for replying, Marcon.

So, Nothing under TIN  (got that)

If no TIN is required,  do I leave that next column blank, or do I enter Reason C - No TIN is required.

I'd leave it blank - both the 'TIN' and the 'If not Tin...' columns have an asterisk, as does the note above saying 'Only complete...etc'.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Sniper999
    Marcon

Thank you for saving me a tax adviser fee. I will return the form and should have my savings account set up within a week. This is the first time I have received this form and I save regularly. 

• pinnks
    Sniper999 said:
    pinnks said:
    It's an OECD requirement. I was sent the form to complete after I applied for a new savings account, It needs to be completed and accepted before the account is set up. 

Why?
    "To help protect tax systems, governments around the world are introducing a new information-gathering and
    reporting requirement for financial institutions which is known as the Common Reporting Standard (‘the CRS’).
    Completing this form will give us accurate and up to date information about your tax residency. If your
    circumstances change, please let us know as soon as possible and we’ll update our records.
    For joint accounts, each account holder needs to complete a form and we may need this even if you’ve
    already given information relating to the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) as this is a separate
    regulation.

If you need advice or help completing the form, we recommend you get professional help as we can’t give tax advice."

Ok, so applying for a non-UK bank account, surely.  That would make more sense.  Note - it is surely a government requirement as the CRS is a legislative thing and the OECD is not a legislative body as far as I am aware

• Sniper999
    pinnks said:
    Ok, so applying for a non-UK bank account, surely.  That would make more sense.  Note - it is surely a government requirement as the CRS is a legislative thing and the OECD is not a legislative body as far as I am aware

Wrong. I applied for a UK savings account that is linked to my UK current account.
    I think many countries signed up to an agreement to share tax info to reduce tax evasion. It may have been an OECD initiative. Google it if you want to know more. 
  • pinnks
    Interesting - I have opened many savings accounts recently, not least to chase the interest-rate war last year, and have not been cordially invited to complete any forms.  I have had to declare my tax residency and personal details as part of the application process but that's it.  Having looked at HMRC's guidance on this issue it seems there is no set format, so perhaps you are just unlucky with that bank?

CRS is a worldwide initiative, involving the OECD and in which HMRC took a leading role, in response to the USA's FATCA legislation.  
  • Sniper999
    pinnks said:
    Interesting - I have opened many savings accounts recently, not least to chase the interest-rate war last year, and have not been cordially invited to complete any forms.  I have had to declare my tax residency and personal details as part of the application process but that's it.  Having looked at HMRC's guidance on this issue it seems there is no set format, so perhaps you are just unlucky with that bank?

CRS is a worldwide initiative, involving the OECD and in which HMRC took a leading role, in response to the USA's FATCA legislation.  
    My account is with First Direct and I'm trying to open the Regular Saver account (7% interest rate).  I open one every year and this is the first time I have had to jump through hoops to get it. I also have ISA accounts and I never had to complete this form before. This is the first time I have had to seek advice for completing a form - despite been absolutely clear on my tax residency. I was a PAYE employee in all my employment so perhaps it's the fact that it's a tax form that is the problem. Leaving 'boxes' blank' on a form unless you are instructed to jump to the next section is not usually my experience. The form could be more user friendly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback