IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN - CE system to park for free

Hi,

I have received a parking notice from Civil Enforcement for overstaying a free parking period at a Starbucks carpark. There is no option to pay for parking but there are tablets at the counter to register your vehicle for extended stay.

I visit this starbuck fairly regular and meet collector a meet up. I typically do enter my reg if we are going to be there for longer than typically allowed

On this occasion I assume I did not fill out the tablet at the counter.

I replied to CE from their letter they said that the ticket still stands and to pay or this may go to debt collection agency.

I really feel this is a daft situation whereby I am being punished not for staying too long but for not completing a screen on an iPad at the counter. 
Surely there is no loss to the company if I was using the facilities. I have bank records showing I was paying for services.

Does anyone know if I have a way to avoid the charge here?

Thanks.
Andy

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,298
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Step one Talk to Starbucks and get them to get the PCN cancelled.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Andytee
    Andytee Posts: 5
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Brie said:
    Step one Talk to Starbucks and get them to get the PCN cancelled.
    I wouldn't have thought they had influence, but I suppose you're right. The company is working for them and they would want to keep customers returning and only charge non customers abusing the parking facilities.

Thanks. I'll pop around and see if they can help.

Cheers for the suggestion 
  • Andytee
    Andytee Posts: 5
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Starbucks said they can get the charge reduced to £20 for me. I'll take that and pay. Cheers for the suggestion 
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,938
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Andytee said:
    Starbucks said they can get the charge reduced to £20 for me. I'll take that and pay. Cheers for the suggestion 
    You are, then, assuming that you failed to enter your VRM on their tablet system, not that their system failed?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback