Fraud issues

In December I lost my phone number received text from 3 saying number disconnected.

few days later got email from santander saying online banking details changed.

logged in to app and £10k had been moved from savings to current account and then sent to my Tandem savings account, a further £5k was then also sent but this was returned.

spoke to Santander all accounts were reset and I thought that was end of it as no money was actually lost.

3 weeks later Tandem account was showing £10k paid out this was on 10th Jan.

spoke to Tandem who said Santander had made an indemnity request for £10k to be returned.

The money is now not showing in either account I’ve spoken to Santander who said they cannot give a time frame as to when i will get my money back.

I feel very frustrated with Santander who let someone access my account and move money using only my phone number, and who then knowing money was in my own account then took my money with no communication and no timeframe as to when I will get it back.

Are Santander acting in my best interest as it doesn’t feel like it.

appreciate any thought apologies for long ramble, currently on night shift so hoping for some constructive comments when i wake up thanks 

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 18 January at 8:32AM

I feel very frustrated with Santander who let someone access my account and move money using only my phone number,
    Do you not feel frustrated with your mobile provider in the first place - who disconnected you and transferred your mobile number to fraudsters?
    And I think there is more to this story as fraudsters need much more information on you, than just your mobile number, to get control over your number and get access to your bank accounts. That's identity fraud, not just financial fraud.

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    indeed

to log on to Santander online banking you need a user ID and PIN

you can click 'forgotten user ID' but then you have to enter name data of birth postcode and then either details from your debit card or your account number and sort code to recover your personal ID to be able to log on.

• dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,683
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    km1500 said:
    indeed

you can click 'forgotten user ID' but then you have to enter name data of birth postcode and then either details from your debit card or your account number and sort code to recover your personal ID to be able to log on.

... and then typically if it's a 'new' device they will send a 'one time passcode' text to the registered number.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,599
    Forumite
    dealyboy said:
    km1500 said:
    indeed

... and then typically if it's a 'new' device they will send a 'one time passcode' text to the registered number.
    Which of course is held by the fraudsters.

Common & old scam.

While all funds stayed in OP own accounts, as Op has confirmed fraud Santander have a duty to reclaim the funds the OP said were transferred by fraudsters.
    So the £10K will be sat in a internal account waiting to be moved to OP account. Front line staff will have no idea, hence the "No idea how long"
    Life in the slow lane
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,855
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 January at 12:29PM
    km1500 said:
    How will they have obtained the PIN under a typical SIM swap fraud?  If Santander have sent out a new one by SMS then that's a significant weakness in their security....
  • smithers1981
    smithers1981 Posts: 817
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi thanks for responses yes of course very frustrated with 3 I requested PAC code but didn’t use it then this code was used by fraudster I suspect could be someone at 3 who would also have more of my personal details.

fraudster also managed to use 2 credit cards via Apple Pay these were Halifax cards.

i personally didn’t give any information to anyone.

This has been quite a nightmare which I thought was over until Santander reclaimed my money from my Tandem, without informing me on their intentions, I’m also frustrated that Tandem sent the £10k without even informing me where it had gone.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,599
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    km1500 said:
    How will they have obtained the PIN under a typical SIM swap fraud?  If Santander have sent out a new one by SMS then that's a significant weakness in their security....
    From memory, when swapping phone with Santander & just done it. You have to enter your id number & password/phrase on new phone, then it links up to your new phone.
    I got id wrong & had to wait for letter to come out to registered address.

So quite how fraudsters do it I'm not sure.

Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure