IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Chased by DCBL LTD

Hi All,

I have created a bit of an issue for myself and I would really appreciate your expertise on my situation.

Back in January of 2020, I was handed a PCN for a parking offence in by a company called "MET Parking Services".

The Circumstances of the Offense

I'm a remote worker and fairly often, rather than working from home, I would choose find a quiet corner in a local McDonalds to have a few meetings, providing them with my business by buying lunch and several coffees. I would naturally park in McDonald's own carpark. 

At some point, to try to combat the issue of non-customers using the carpark, McDonalds introduced a 90 minute parking restriction, enforced by MET Parking Services. I was blissfully unaware of this, completely missing the newly installed, clearly visible signs and ANPR cameras. 

I Screwed Up

After receiving the PCN, I was shocked and immediately took the option to appeal the charge. Having since read this forum, I can see that was absolutely the wrong thing to do.

I can't really remember exactly what I wronte, but the jist of the appeal was that I was a frequent customer of Mcdonald's, and on the day of the offense, I can prove that I had not left the premises as I had several transactions with them during the time frame. I may have mentioned something about being happy to argue this in court.

In my naivety, I thought they would understand that I was actually a loyal paying customer of McDonalds, not a parking offender they were looking to punish.
Of course, in reality, they shot down the appeal highlighting the fact that the signs are clearly visible. And now, they have on file that I had effectively admitted the offense. 

Debt Collectors

Over the years I have had the occasional letter asking for payment, the amount increasing each time. They went directly into the bin without me paying any real attention and the latest one was no different, but I did notice it was from DCBL before I tore it up. Due to this, I can't give you any more information about this letter.

Today I received a text message with a URL to pay (the URL starts with dcbltd.mysecurepay which leads me to believe it's from DCBL LTD), and later, an automated phone call stating my name and asking me to "press 1" if I was the person they were looking for. I pressed 2. 

What do I do?

I admitted responsibility 4 years ago. Should I speak to DCBL? Should I go to court? How do I avoid paying the inflated amount? How do I fight this and also avoid a CCJ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,152
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What did the McD people have to say when you asked them to resolve the issue for a valued customer?
  • Stuart085
    Stuart085 Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    KeithP said:
    What did the McD people have to say when you asked them to resolve the issue for a valued customer?
    The store told me to contact their customer service. I did, detailing my exact circumstances. This is their response, it appears to be templated -

"I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our restaurant.

We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.

We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.

Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.

If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,533
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 17 January at 10:52PM

How do I fight this and also avoid a CCJ?
    By not binning the letters, because sooner or later one will be a court claim form, as seen on EVERY thread around yours.  Click on some and see what that looks like.  If you haven't binned one of those then all is well so far.

When you get one of those, all is well too because we have a Template Defence and it makes DBL run away without a hearing.  I assume you are not in Scotland.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Stuart085
    Stuart085 Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
     Coupon-mad said:

How do I fight this and also avoid a CCJ?
    By not binning the letters, because sooner or later one will be a court claim form, as seen on EVERY thread around yours.  Click on some and see what that looks like.  If you haven't binned one of those then all is well so far.

When you get one of those, all is well too because we have a Template Defence and it makes DBL run away without a hearing.  I assume you are not in Scotland.
    Thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm fairly certain I have not received anything relating to a court claim yet and will certainly follow your advice and keep a look out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback