Scottish Energy massive Economy 7 Tariff Rise

I am on Scottish Energy Economy 7. Most of my usage is on the Night rate. I understand Scottish Energy has increased the Night Rate tariff by nearly 100%. Is it the only company doing so? If so, I could switch to almost any other provider (since tariffs are tied to the new cap anyway). Any leaders in the field?

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,674
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 13 January at 10:48PM
    I am on Scottish Energy Economy 7. Most of my usage is on the Night rate. I understand Scottish Energy has increased the Night Rate tariff by nearly 100%. Is it the only company doing so? If so, I could switch to almost any other provider (since tariffs are tied to the new cap anyway). Any leaders in the field?
    Do you mean Scottish Power?
    When you say "I understand Scottish Energy has increased the Night Rate tariff by nearly 100%", you must know if thay have or haven't. If your tariff has changed, they will have advised you of this.
    What was your tariff before 1st January, and what is your tariff now?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Scottish Power, yes. I was reading in The Guardian today a reported a 91% increase in night rate, but having just re-read, it is for EDF, not SP! My late wife worked for EDF so that probably triggered the rush of blood to brain and a hasty entry here!

After my wife died, I stopped heating my 4 bedroom house and only heat the rooms I am using (gas powered underfloor heating downstairs with programmable room controllers; regular thermostatic valved radiators on central timeswitch upstairs, just on for gettting up and going to bed in my bedroom and manual boost if I use my office), so my overall consumption ought to have dropped dramatically.

I had built up about a £1500 credit on my account which, a year ago, when I came off a previous 2 year fix, I asked them to refund. They proposed a new lower direct debit amount to avoid building up a further credit, which I agreed. As soon as this was done, they immediately flagged my payments as insufficient and wanted to double the level of my monthly direct debit! I was able to enter figures until their site accepted a much smaller increase. The same thing happened when they took a meter reading for the new cap, up from £180 to £235 a month (they had proposed £275). I am using less much energy yet they want me to hugely increase my DD.

To conclude, the rates I'm being billed (and previous) are: Day 36.073 (32.883), Night 17.925 (16.015). Unavoidable cap increases but no drama!

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,674
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Scottish Power, yes. I was reading in The Guardian today a reported a 91% increase in night rate, but having just re-read, it is for EDF, not SP! My late wife worked for EDF so that probably triggered the rush of blood to brain and a hasty entry here!
    Glad you sorted that one out for yourself :)
    After my wife died, I stopped heating my 4 bedroom house and only heat the rooms I am using (gas powered underfloor heating downstairs with programmable room controllers; regular thermostatic valved radiators on central timeswitch upstairs, just on for gettting up and going to bed in my bedroom and manual boost if I use my office), so my overall consumption ought to have dropped dramatically.
    If you've got gas central heating, are you sure you benefit from Ecomomy 7? Usually you need electric storage heaters or some other large off-peak electrical demand if E7 is going to be worth it.
    In the past year, how much day-rate electricity have you used? And how much night-rate?
    To conclude, the rates I'm being billed (and previous) are: Day 36.073 (32.883), Night 17.925 (16.015). Unavoidable cap increases but no drama!
    Agreed, those seem quite normal E7 rates.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,689
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As @QRizB - you really need to check if E7 is suitable given your main heating appears to be gas.

Try to find your last annual cost estimate review - EOn issue these with annual peak / off-peak split every Ofgem cap change - or check your latest bills if they include an annual split estimate for peak / off-peak.

At 17.9p off peak / night and 36p peak day - you need a significant amount of off-peak use to make that work against SR (dont know you region) - average Jan cap SR rate = 28.6p DD payment.

E7 clear losers
    10% night - average price = 34.2p
    25% night - average price = 31.5p

Ofgem assume c42% off peak for E7
    42% night - average price = 28.4p  (Ofgem DD average 28.6p - your region ?)
    50% night - average price = 27p

E7 clear gainers  (storage heating, electric HW tanks, EV ?)
    75% night - average price = 22.4p
    90% night - average price = 19.7p

We still occasionaly see users posting mixes in posts where using E7 in that 10-25% region off peak mix area - so possibly paying 10-20% more (3-6p more) per kWh unit on average price.

So well worth checking.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure