Missing payments

I have been retired 18 months and found a link to check my NI contributions, whilst checking my pension something I wasn't aware off.
 I found it said I had 3 incomplete year's but apart from periods of  being unemployed I have always be in a paid employment with a company.  When I checked further the dates missing are all within periods off unemployment..1 period cannot be paid, 1 period is about £5 and another is nearly £400. I have always signed on when required and NEVER had any periods off the employment records ( except unemployment) ..what does this mean? is it a mistake on someone else part? and is there any benefit to I pay the shortfall.
Many thanks 

Comments

• I have been retired 18 months and found a link to check my NI contributions, whilst checking my pension something I wasn't aware off.
     I found it said I had 3 incomplete year's but apart from periods of  being unemployed I have always be in a paid employment with a company.  When I checked further the dates missing are all within periods off unemployment..1 period cannot be paid, 1 period is about £5 and another is nearly £400. I have always signed on when required and NEVER had any periods off the employment records ( except unemployment) ..what does this mean? is it a mistake on someone else part? and is there any benefit to I pay the shortfall.
    Many thanks 
    No idea how it could have arisen. On the value point - my wife has just paid £178 to have 2022/23 ‘count’ towards her state pension - the projected value of which has now increased by £5.10 per week. As they say - a ‘no brainer’.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,573
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 January at 5:54PM
    When you say you are retired, do you mean you are over State Pension Age ? 
    If not you should look at your State Pension Forecast 
    Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    As this will tell you how much you are on course to get and whether it is worth plugging gaps (if you aren't sure what it's telling you, post the figures up on the Pensions part of the forum and people will be able to help). 

If you are already over State Pension Age, you won't be able to get an online forecast, but if you are prepared to tell us when you reached SPA and how much weekly SP you are getting, again people should be able to let you know if it is worth plugging gaps.

As far as why you have those gaps, both Job Seekers Allowance and Universal Credit do come with NI credits - but I think there is a seven day gap before you can get JSA afer leaving work, which may explain the £5 shortfall. There is also a known issue with DWP (who administer UC) not passing on information to HMRC (who allocate the NI credits) which I believe should be corrected at some point. 
  • magicman62
    magicman62 Posts: 76
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I get £815.40 monthly (4 weeks) and I retired at 66 18months ago so now 67 dob 1956 the biggest shortfall was  in 1991/1992 about £385...until today I didn't know about any of this so curious if some  error is costing me.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,775
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I get £815.40 monthly (4 weeks) and I retired at 66 18months ago so now 67 dob 1956 the biggest shortfall was  in 1991/1992 about £385...until today I didn't know about any of this so curious if some  error is costing me.
    As you're receiving the maximum £203.85/week, you can't improve that and haven't missed out on anything....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback