IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC / DCBLegal - 9 days till court date

Hey everyone, in a bit of a panic as I have forgotten to submit my defence to the court can I just submit it now or am I going to have a judgement submitted against me?

I have seen posts about DCB discontinuing a lot of cases but I feel like I am too late.

please help 

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 57,999
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Surely if you did not submit a defence, you would already have a CCJ. As far as I am aware, you cannot possibly get as far as a court hearing without submitting a defence and completing an N180 form that determines where the hearing will take place.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,149
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Start by checking your MCOL history to seek confirmation that you have submitted a Defence. Then you'll need to call the court to which the case is allocated to seek confirmation of whether they have received your Witness Statement. Those are the two major elements in defending a claim. I wouldn't be relying on a DCB Legal discontinuation given the possibility that you have not complied with court requirements. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • MVizz
    MVizz Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry for the confusion, I am at the witness statement stage and haven’t submitted it. The court date is the 22nd Jan.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MVizz said:
    Sorry for the confusion, I am at the witness statement stage and haven’t submitted it. The court date is the 22nd Jan.
    Your WS should probably have been filed and served by 8 January (14 days before the hearing date).

So you'd better get your gluteus maximus into gear a bit sharpish.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,451
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 January at 7:29PM
    MVizz said:
    File and serve it by email tomorrow before 3pm.  That might see your discontinuance arrive.

Send a pm in the morning (NOT NOW, only in working hours) to @troublemaker22 who might be able to help you tomorrow, but YOU MUST work on the bundle tonight and show him your paperwork and your draft.  Give him something to work with to help rescue you in the morning.

Have a look at the recent WS posted by

@GolfR12

@Lought_TA

Only ask  @troublemaker22 (solicitor poster) for help by pm once you've done a draft FIRST.  This stage is EASY.

Have you had a WS from the Claimants?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 57,999
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you received the claimant's WS? 
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • MVizz
    Name Dropper First Post
    MVizz said:
    File and serve it by email tomorrow before 3pm.  That might see your discontinuance arrive.

Send a pm in the morning (NOT NOW, only in working hours) to @troublemaker22 who might be able to help you tomorrow, but YOU MUST work on the bundle tonight and show him your paperwork and your draft.  Give him something to work with to help rescue you in the morning.

Have a look at the recent WS posted by

@GolfR12

@Lought_TA

Only ask  @troublemaker22 (solicitor poster) for help by pm once you've done a draft FIRST.  This stage is EASY.

Have you had a WS from the Claimants?
    Thanks il make a start on this now! 

All I’ve had is the notice of allocation and letter from DCB Legal with “without prejudice save as to costs” letter.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,451
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 January at 11:31PM
    OK, that's good news...

So draft your WS tonight - easy to crib from the ones I linked and make it your own, with your photos & evidence - but first thing at 9am (before bothering troublemaker22 who is a busy solicitor) phone your local court and ask if a WS has been filed by the Claimant and ask "is the hearing going ahead, because I was not served with a copy of any Witness Statement bundle by the Claimant."

If they haven't submitted a WS, I suspect you will be happily reporting back to us by 9.30am tomorrow that the court has told you DCB has in fact already discontinued the claim (and just didn't bother to tell you earlier).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MVizz
    Name Dropper First Post
    Hey! Sorry for the delay.

i have rang the courts and they have confirmed that there has been a notice of discontinuance.

thanks for everyone’s help!
  • patient_dream
    patient_dream Posts: 3,420
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MVizz said:
    Hey! Sorry for the delay.

i have rang the courts and they have confirmed that there has been a notice of discontinuance.

thanks for everyone’s help!
    Good news .... The Magical Disneyland World of DCBL ???
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback