Puzzled with Universal Credit decision

My son lost his job on 27/10/23 because it was seasonal and he is a groundsman. He had always worked 2 weeks in hand o was always 2 weeks behind getting paid. He received his 2 weeks wages and a few days holiday pay of £728 and it was paid into his bank about 11/11/23. When chasing up his first payment from UC, he was told that his FIRST payment would be 11/1/24 which is tomorrow of course so he has not received ONE penny benefit or income from anywhere. He suffers from MIXED ANXIETY & DEPRESSIVE DISORDERS so I have been talking to CAB-his surgery-his local council and many other groups but it is so hard reaching people as they say short staffed, working from home. I am an ex businessman so I can/do talk on the phone but even I am finding it hard, any advice welcome. AND BTW, HE DID RECORD ON HIS UNIVERSAL CREDIT JOURNAL ON THE DATE HE LOST JOB.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,304
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Did his wages put him over the UC limit for the first assessment period? Would he be entitled to the housing element or is he still living at home?
    Has he considered making a claim for PIP as well due to his mental health? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,691
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are you able to see in his U/C account for the monthly statements... firstly to see if they exist and if so what they detail?
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • gudda96
    gudda96 Posts: 65
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did his wages put him over the UC limit >>>I don't know what the limit is? he will and has allowed me to check his journal but what will the statements show, the case cannot be changed from the fact that he finished when I said, has ad no money since, and he reported he was unemployed
  • Muttleythefrog
    Forumite
    edited 10 January at 1:46PM
    gudda96 said:
    Did his wages put him over the UC limit >>>I don't know what the limit is? he will and has allowed me to check his journal but what will the statements show, the case cannot be changed from the fact that he finished when I said, has ad no money since, and he reported he was unemployed
    The statements should show their calculation of his monthly payment (or non entitlement to any)... I think first thing to establish here is what they think his circumstances are. From that might be able to determine if something hasn't been correctly reported (like losing job) or understood about his circumstances. If he is due a payment tomorrow then statement should be there.

For the statements head to the HOME tab then PAYMENTS.

Also check the TO-DO-LIST tab to see if any actions are outstanding.

(As above and an aside... definitely he should look to claiming PIP assuming he doesn't currently get it.. the disability benefit... he may well be eligible.. getting an award can be a bit of a battle but given the direction the benefits system may be heading it's a good time.. and PIP awards are not means tested. The CAB website is great for advice on PIP)
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • gudda96
    Forumite
    As I said, he finished work on 27/10/23 and see attached show he informed journal
  • Muttleythefrog
    Forumite
    Yes looks like that's correctly been reported as a change. So please head to monthly statements... these should shed light on what is being calculated as entitlement and indeed what he can expect to be paid tomorrow.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,198
    Forumite
    It's not about when he ceased work, it's about when he received his wages.
    He will have an assessment period and any earnings received within that period will be used as income when calculating the award.
    So if he was paid in November, it would have probably nilled him for the assessment period that covers that date.
    I think the assessment period is 3rd of one month to the 4th of the next month, so he would have probably been nilled so wouldn't be eligible for a payment on 11th December.
    The statement will show you what/how they came to that decision and will include any income they have used in the decision.
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 11 January at 12:17PM
    tomtom256 said:

I think the assessment period is 3rd of one month to the 4th of the next month,
    Well I'd say the 5th to the next 4th, that ties in with the payment date of the 11th, (and tells us that he didn't claim UC until a week and 3 days after the employment had ended).
    So it appears that the UC claim was started on the 5th November.
    Which means that the £728 paid after that date was counted as earned income in the first AP, and with only a Standard Allowance payable that would have nulled any payment on 11th December.
    (£728 x 0.55 taper rate = £400.40 to be deducted, which is more than standard allowance)
    So his first actual payment of UC should be 11th January, today.
    Check his bank to see what went in today.
    He would have been better waiting until after getting that £728 payment before claiming UC, but that's water under the bridge.

PS, As well as considering claiming PIP he should be reporting his mental health conditions to UC and sending in doctors Fit-notes.
    That will have 2 effects;
    Firstly sending in the fit-notes should halt the requirement for him to search and apply for jobs.
    Secondly it should trigger a referal for a Work Capability Assessment (WCA),
    if he is awarded Limited Capability for Work (LCW) at that assessment then he does not have to look for work, and if he does work then he can earn so much before it starts to be deducted from UC.
    If he gets awarded Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity (LCWRA) then that also means extra money on UC.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,649
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    He received his wages on 11 November which covers the first assessment period for UC so no UC payment was due. 
    UC is paid in arrears, the same as his wages were, so the payment for the second assessment period in December is paid after the end of it. Hence the payment on 11 January. 
  • gudda96
    Forumite
    Hi Guys, Thanks for all replies, my son received his payment on the 11th, he said it was made up of 
    2 x JSA and 2 x UC adding up to £356, hope that makes sense. TomTom, I have passed on your advice re FIT Notes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback