Do you have a residence allowance if your wife owns your home

I owned my only house when I got married. If my husband dies first and leaves everything to me, when I die later can I use my own residence allowance plus £175,000 residence allowance for my husband. Ie we will share one million allowances jointly or will it be 2x £325,000 plus 1x£175,000

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,225
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If the rules don’t change yes, providing you have direct descendants to leave your estate to. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 January at 10:39PM
    If the rules don’t change yes, providing you have direct descendants to leave your estate to. 
    I could be wrong but, from the heading, is the op not saying that the house is in ‘the wife’s name’ only?

In other words , husband does not own or have a share in the house and, therefore, has no residence allowance.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,225
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 January at 2:51PM
    I could be wrong but, from the heading, is the op not saying that the house is in ‘the wife’s name’ only?

In other words , husband does not own or have a share in the house and, therefore, has no residence allowance.
    That doesn’t matter the allowance is transferable as long as it has not been used even when the reason for it not being used is that they did not own property. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 January at 2:51PM

That doesn’t matter the allowance is transferable as long as it has not been used even when the reason for it not being used is that they did not own property. 
    Thank you. I will bow to superior knowledge. I always believed that one had to own a home or own a share of it to qualify for RNRB and, thus, to be able to transfer it. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback