Paying in cheque abroad to UK account

I have a question for a friend (honestly) I said I would ask on here as they are not very good with computers.

They are selling an apartment in Dubai, its going for around 50k but they will get payment for it once sold via a 'Managers cheque' as thats how they do it there. They don't want to keep a large cheque like that till the end of their trip out there. 

They have a HSBC account, so are you able to walk into a HSBC branch abroad and get them to transfer a cheque into your UK HSBC account if you give them your account details? 

Comments

• binao
    binao Posts: 666
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Pound Sterling?

HSBC will also ask questions re source of funds, requiring documentary proof, re AML regs.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,143
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    curtis122 said:

They have a HSBC account, so are you able to walk into a HSBC branch abroad and get them to transfer a cheque into your UK HSBC account if you give them your account details? 
    Open an account with HSBC in Dubai. Once the cheque is cleared. Then transfer the funds. 
  • curtis122
    curtis122 Posts: 177
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They will have proof, they are selling a home, also opening an account is not easy there and they would have to do it while they are there at the same time and quite a faff to do just to pay some money into it and then moving it and closing The Managers cheque will be in AED so they will have to go through the transfer/exhange  rates either end they pay it in. All I really wanted to know is can you go to a branch of your bank in another country and pay a cheque or cash to a UK account of the same bank.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    curtis122 said:
    All I really wanted to know is can you go to a branch of your bank in another country and pay a cheque or cash to a UK account of the same bank.
    I don't think it's viable to generalise about that, but as you said they have an HSBC account, they probably have a better integrated global setup than most, so I'd have thought that they'd be a better bet than many of their more localised competitors - realistically the best bet will be for them to ask HSBC themselves though....
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,096
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm surprised that someone with a properly in Dubai doesn't already have an account there.
  • curtis122
    curtis122 Posts: 177
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    I'm surprised that someone with a properly in Dubai doesn't already have an account there.
    They don't and never have lived there, it was a holiday home they went to vist a few times a year and let friends stay there if they wanted a trip out there. They never needed a bank account there, any bills/service charges they got emailed the bill and paid from here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback