PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord Dispute

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    BobT36 said:
    This sort of thing is literally why the deposit schemes exist. 
    It's like a hotel suddenly charging extra to prep the rooms for the next guest, after you've left, rather than baking it into their upfront costs and managing it like any other overhead of running a business. 

I think a Hotel would charge if the guest caused damage to the room rather than wear and tear. Let the deposit scheme arbitrate like everyone says. The landlord will have loadsof pics if they have any sence.
  • BobT36
    BobT36 Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 January at 4:46AM
    BobT36 said:
    It's like a hotel suddenly charging extra to prep the rooms for the next guest, after you've left, rather than baking it into their upfront costs and managing it like any other overhead of running a business. 

I think a Hotel would charge if the guest caused damage to the room rather than wear and tear. Let the deposit scheme arbitrate like everyone says. The landlord will have loadsof pics if they have any sence.
    Yeah but that's the point, landlords often just think the deposit is there to sort their personal decoration, maintenance and re-prep costs, rather than reimbursement for damage or detriment specifically caused by the tenant. A hotel would ONLY charge if you'd damaged something, as you mentioned. They'd already been paid for re-prepping the rooms etc via the original payment, same with landlords, they should be setting aside a portion of the rent to cover their own overheads. 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just put in your claim for repayment to the scheme and let them resolve it. As above, the LL is trying to gain betterment, which is not acceptable.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    BobT36 said:
    BobT36 said:

Yeah but that's the point, landlords often just think the deposit is there to sort their personal decoration, maintenance and re-prep costs, rather than reimbursement for damage or detriment specifically caused by the tenant. A hotel would ONLY charge if you'd damaged something, as you mentioned. They'd already been paid for re-prepping the rooms etc via the original payment, same with landlords, they should be setting aside a portion of the rent to cover their own overheads. 

Landlords often let things slide, I re-decorate between tenants and am not bothered in the least by small marks on walls. I do however find it annoying when multiple shelves, pictures, mirrors etc have been put up then removed despite the tenancy agreement saying no drilling of walls. I'd just deal with a few small holes because a bit of filling is part of decorating to me, but the usual is to overfill the holes, leave it rough and then paint over it with a slight mis-match of paint.

Chips and scratches to worktops - far worse than in your own home, because at the end of the day tenant didn't have to pay for or have to replace them so they take less care. I always now provide chopping boards!! Flooring gets damaged at a much faster rate than in my own home too. I fit AC5 laminate, not the cheap stuff.

I've got a property with French doors, the glass was scratched a lot by dogs clawing at the glass - no way to repair, two new sealed units of toughened glass delivered and fitted is going to be expensive, as a landlord I just informed tenant and told them that if they disputed any of the other damage I would add this to the bill, which would exceed the deposit. (Dogs had chewed radiator cabinet, stair spindles, kitchen cabinets , skirting and architrave)

This was not the worst tenent check out, yet this tenent resented having to pay for any of the damage to the extent they removed the bath panel and unscrewed the bath trap and overflow, replaced the panel again so when we cleaned the place we had water through the ceiling.

Anyone who believs it's all one way traffic with landlords trying to make something out of a deposit I suggest you talk to a few landlords. I get that there are one's who do, I just don't think it's as common as many believe.

I rent out 5, and manage half a dozen for others. When a tenant leaves the place clean and relatively undamaged the landlord is delighted to hand back the deposit!

• m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
  • BobT36
    edited 11 January at 3:44AM
    BobT36 said:
    BobT36 said:

despite the tenancy agreement saying no drilling of walls. I'd just deal with a few small holes because a bit of filling is part of decorating to me, but the usual is to overfill the holes, leave it rough and then paint over it with a slight mis-match of paint.

How do you expect tenants to store things, do you not have shelves or need to put any up in your own home? 
    My landlord tried that (INCLUDING no Adhesives so even Command Hooks would have been banned) and I negotiated the tenancy agreement to allow such and implement a "make good" clause instead.
    I agree though some could and should do a better job of patching up afterwards. Always helps when a landlord knows the paint colour, so I can just go and buy some smaller tester pots for patching anything up with the proper colour. 

Otherwise, scuffs etc. are part of normal life and I'm sure you get some in your own home. Some brands of paint are terrible, also (farrow and ball, for one, despite being stupidly expensive!). I often patch it up where I can.

As to the rest, I agree! Those are damages and that's what the deposit is there for. And it's a shame you have to provide chopping boards as that should be a tenant's expense.
    However when renting, just like a hotel, landlords should keep in mind they're going to have different kinds of people living there, and have stuff that isn't easily damaged, or cheap / easy enough to sort out when it is. Again like a hotel, it's natural people aren't going to treat someone else's stuff as well as their own, though of course if they "damage" anything, they should pay! That's standard. 

What we're complaining about here is landlords like in the OP trying to claim for stuck doors or blown windows or stupid crap that is nothing to do with the tenant, and purely their own maintenance responsibilities, or using wear and tear factors as reasons to deduct deposit just to cover their own overheads. Clearly that IS common, so common that the deposit schemes had to be set up to counter it, and even then lots try it on, hence this thread! 

But yes I agree there are bad tenants too, it is unbelievable how some treat properties. 
  • Fbho30
    Fbho30 Posts: 5 Newbie
    First Post
    Thank you for all your comments and advice. I think we will just try claim back the deposit. On top of that the landlords wife has sent me threatening messages of court (she’s not our landlord, was just overly friendly during our tenancy and would come to inspections too looking through our cupboards) we will let the courts decide if it comes to that 
  • BobT36
    ^ It won't even get that far. This is exactly what the deposit protection companies are for. 
    Log a dispute and claim the full amount back, provide as much evidence as possible. It's then up to the landlord to prove your damages.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    If she has threatened you with court - have you got proof? Text / email / letter? If so keep a copy, and also probably let her know you are keeping a copy should it go to court.
  • BobT36 said:

What like AirBnB do?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure