Returning a newly leased vehicle

hanw23
hanw23 Posts: 7
First Post
Forumite
Hi!

I took a 6 year lease on a used Audi in September 2023.

After driving it a few times, in the day and night time I noticed that the Windscreen is covered in scratches, of all directions. The breaks are also squeaking (when test driving the man from the garage said this will stop with more constant use) and an inspection sign started to show on the dash, even though it had an MOT and service prior to me purchasing it. 

I sent an email to the company who I bought the car from, stating that I would like someone to look at the car and the faults I stated; I never got a reply. 

I sent two further emails (as I like to have a paper trail of these things) but still no reply. I then rang the garage, again relaying the issues and was told I would be contacted ASAP. 

a week later I still never received any contact from them so rang again. They said that they could 'have a look' at the brakes and the inspection sign but they cannot do anything about the scratches on the windscreen (which are really annoying especially in this weather!!)

Can anyone advise me on what do it (it has taken the shine off getting an Audi for me) should I try and progress the windscreen matter, so take it as a loss and try and get it fixed myself.

thank you so much!

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,808
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's not easy to scratch a windscreen, perhaps it has got wax on it, have you tried cleaning it?
  • hanw23
    First Post
    Forumite

It is definitely scratches, you can just about feel them with your finger. (not that deep you can run your nail over them if that makes sense)

I got the car just after the sandstorm / sand rain from the Sahara. I think the garage used the windscreen wipers and it cased lot of little scratches on the windscreen. 

I obviously cannot prove it, but there is no way I could have caused the scratches with a stone under the wiper for example as the scratches are all over the place.

I have had a look on the internet as to how to get rid of scratches myself, but I am just a annoyed I reported the issue to them and they ignored it for so long... now saying that they cant do anything about it.

I didnt see them when I test drove it as it was a clear day, they were visible in the night time and the rain and now it is cold they are really visible at night time 
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 292
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you leasing the car or did you buy it?  If leasing, then what should the lease company do about maintenance issues?
    The car's manual should tell you how to reset the inspection light.
    Perhaps try getting a reputable garage to inspect the car, and specifically on the issues you've identified.
  • hanw23
    First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Mark

It is a lease vehicle HP.

I am going to the garage I got the car from for them to have a look at it. they should handle the break and reset issue as they said they would. its more the windscreen.

I have looked at getting something to remove the scratches myself but here are loads of them.. and also, I raised the issue early on so I feel they should fix it? But, I am no expert! :D 
  • hanw23
    First Post
    Forumite
    hanw23 said:
    Hi Mark

It is a lease vehicle HP.

I am going to the garage I got the car from for them to have a look at it. they should handle the break and reset issue as they said they would. its more the windscreen.

I have looked at getting something to remove the scratches myself but here are loads of them.. and also, I raised the issue early on so I feel they should fix it? But, I am no expert! :D 
    once they have done this if i am not happy then i will get a garage to look at it and report back to where i bought it from 
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 5,955
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    HP is not lease. With a lease you are just hiring the vehicle for an extended period. I suspect you are actually purchasing this one. 
  • hanw23
    First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Tadley 

Yes sorry.
  • hanw23
    First Post
    Forumite
    does the face that is it HP make a difference to who can help with the issues?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback