PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noticed neighbour's roofer damaged my roof.... am trying to sell the house atm.

Comments

• Slumbershade
    Slumbershade Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Did you not take down the roofers details on their work vehicles when they did the roof? 

I would go direct to them if they are still in business.
    I have contacted him, he wants me to pay him to fix it and is trying to use the excuse that my roof is the wrong type to avoid responsibility. my roof was fine before he touched it, and although not leaking atm, its clearly going to fail again. I will have proof from teh buyers surveryor tommorrow potentially.
  • Slumbershade
    anselld said:
    TheJP said:
    TheJP said:
    TheJP said:
    You're not in a dispute until you start one, so options 2 and 3 are for you to start the dispute, although I don't know where you've got the idea of an injunction.  You'd just make a small
    claim for cost of the repair you make. 

Option 4 - the council has no powers.  These are private properties that they have zero interest in.  

I can see improvements needed to your roof already, so maybe option 5 - just see what your buyers survey comes back with and you either just do the work or accept a price reduction for them to do it.  They may want a new roof like your neighbours.  

It's not nice but I'd swallow it for an
    easy life and keep my buyers happy.  
    Thanks for the reply. One of the roofers said something about the council, maybe he was confused about the situation, ill check again on that. 

Yes, I have had 2 different roofers say that it's the wrong roof type fitted on mine. However it has been fine for decades, with maybe 3 minor repairs over 20 years. 

I have considered they may want to replace it entirely, however the sale could easily fall through, so it may still be a bad idea to put off any work.

Any idea how long a legal dispute can last though? Would still love to sue her, she REALLLLY deserves it.
    Sue her for what exactly? First you need to prove that the works in 2023 were caused by the work she had done which would need to be an independent expert to investigate, in the unlikely event that you win she would only cover the cost of a repair which could be minor.

I honestly think you have shot yourself in the foot by telling the buyers that there is an issue with the roof, most surveyors don't go into the loft they typically stand at the top of a ladder a shine a torch around so it may not be picked up anyway.

At this point its your problem not your neighbours.
    I asked the estate agent, and they said to declare it. Fantastic. So I would also have to pay out for a full roofing survey then, I was hoping the buyer's survey could act as proof if anything shows up.
    You didn't have to declare anything. If I'm honest i think you are trying to pin something on the neighbour that wont stick and now you have got a rod up your back. If its £1600 just take the hit and move on. It will be cheaper than trying to sue the neighbour.
    300ish in small claims court. and 4 seperate roofers say its a travesty.. they cant allbe full of **** surely? Was hoping one would chime in if this is not so!

But yeah could take over a year in court anyway.. so I wont do it unless she has the audacity to try and prevent me fixing and paying for her problem... which is actually quite possible.
    4 separate roofers touting for business wont be full of ****, honestly i think your putting a rod up your own back before you know you'll need to pay out but you kinda did that by telling the buyers up front.

Btw this is my roof BEFORE her guy touched it, he removed this whole 'fillet'.

I will see if the dangerous building thing works, no harm in trying!
    So no better beforehand then (no bonding gutter).
    no, but it had been fine at the boundary for decades
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Did you not take down the roofers details on their work vehicles when they did the roof? 

I would go direct to them if they are still in business.
    I have contacted him, he wants me to pay him to fix it and is trying to use the excuse that my roof is the wrong type to avoid responsibility. my roof was fine before he touched it, and although not leaking atm, its clearly going to fail again. I will have proof from teh buyers surveryor tommorrow potentially.
    You’ll have no proof from the buyers survey as it’s their survey that they have paid for. If you want to use the result from a survey, you’ll have to pay for one and you’ll have to go a bit deeper than the home buyers one.
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • Slumbershade
    edited 5 April at 5:27PM
    Can anyone confirm that it's really the wrong roof type for the house please? I have had a roofer say this before, but my family owned the hose for 20 years, with 2 leaks in that time. Just trying to prepare for survey results and if a price should be reduced becasue the roof is not 'standard specs'.

Half the houses on the street are tiled! These are circa 1870ish viccies.
    Thanks.

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,869 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Can anyone confirm that it's really the wrong roof type for the house please? I have had a roofer say this before, but my family owned the hose for 20 years, with 2 leaks in that time. Just trying to prepare for survey results and if a price should be reduced becasue the roof is not 'standard specs'.

"Wrong" can have different meanings.
    "Wrong" as in "not like original"
    "Wrong" as in "not fit for purpose"

We live in a mid-terraced house where the tiles should be flat (like your neighbours) and we have the marley tiles (like you).  It is not "correct" in so far as the terrace would look better if our roof was done with the same tiles as original.  It is not "wrong" in so far as the tiles we have meet the necessary functional need.  

If I ever need to, any re-roof will be done to the original type of roof tile that makes the terrace look "correct".  I understand the marley tiles are cheaper.

I see no reason for the type of roof tile to affect the valuation of the property - a Buyer can see the difference on viewing so it is not a surprise from the survey.
  • NameUnavailable
    NameUnavailable Posts: 2,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think 'wrong' is that they are much heavier than the original tiles and unless the roof has been reinforced to take them they may be causing issues (sagging/flexing etc). What did your survey say about the roof when you bought the property?

Lots of Victorian homes have had similar tiles fitted so it's not an unusual issue but one that might be an issue for you or your buyers to resolve.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think 'wrong' is that they are much heavier than the original tiles and unless the roof has been reinforced to take them they may be causing issues (sagging/flexing etc). What did your survey say about the roof when you bought the property?

Lots of Victorian homes have had similar tiles fitted so it's not an unusual issue but one that might be an issue for you or your buyers to resolve.
    This is the right answer.  It's not just the aesthetic, it is the weight on a structure not designed for it.   These roofs have a tendency to bow.  

Any survey will point it out.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Slumbershade
    Yes, thankyou. Well I see no flexing or bowing. If a survey just mentions the POTENTIAL for this, it's not something that should give a price reduction.
  • NameUnavailable
    NameUnavailable Posts: 2,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yes, thankyou. Well I see no flexing or bowing. If a survey just mentions the POTENTIAL for this, it's not something that should give a price reduction.

There might not be bowing now, but if the survey said that the roof timbers needed reinforcement to support the heavier roof tiles then that could be a point for negotiation (I certainly would).
  • Slumbershade

There might not be bowing now, but if the survey said that the roof timbers needed reinforcement to support the heavier roof tiles then that could be a point for negotiation (I certainly would).
    I dont think there should be any reduction if there is no current damage that needs imminent repairs or any proof there will definitely be damage any time soon. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback