Self assessment tax return

corky23
corky23 Posts: 42
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
I did a short term employed contract from February 2023 - July 2023 and received a P45 at the end. Do I pro-rata the the salary and tax for my 22/2023 tax return? 

I received private health care benefits as well. I presume this is included in the salary.

Or do I need to go back to the employer for a breakdown?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,582
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Weren't you issued with a P60 to summarise your earnings etc up to the end of the tax year ?
  • corky23
    corky23 Posts: 42
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Weren't you issued with a P60 to summarise your earnings etc up to the end of the tax year ?
    Thank you - I have asked for a copy as none was sent.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 12,785
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    corky23 said:
    Thank you - I have asked for a copy as none was sent.
    Was the first payment definitely prior to 6 April 2023?
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,254
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you logged onto your personal tax account? As this will show the reported employment earnings for the 2022/2023 tax year. 
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,788
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The P45 will only be for the period 6 April 2023 to the date you left in July. And why would you presume the medical benefit was included in your salary. It may be if your employer payrolled but you cannot presume.
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 332
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You should have a P60 for the period up until 5th April 23. For 6th April to July you should have a P45, but that will be for tax year 23-24. You'll need those figure for the next tax return unless you take additional work before 5th April 24 and the P45 figures get included on the P60 for 23-24.
    Re private medical, was it shown on your payslips? (many companies show it that way now, effectively as a monthly "income" so should be part of the P60 / P45 income figure I believe.). If not they should have issued a p11d for 22-23, which you should add to your tax return
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback