Should I get furniture or decorate first?

I’m planning to get the hallways, stairs and bedrooms redecorated soon and need a few items of large furniture. Since it would be more difficult trying to decorate around this furniture or move it, I had planned to get it once the decorating was finished. However, thinking back, every time I’ve bought furniture or white goods in the past, the delivery guys have always caused extensive damage to the walls/flooring/skirting boards/doors. 

I’ve been reading a few threads where people have said the delivery companies are not liable for any damage and it’s up to the customer to protect the walls etc. I don’t know of any practical way to do that. So now I’m wondering if it’s better to get the furniture first, despite knowing it will be a real hassle for the decorators trying to manoeuvre around it. What do most people do? 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,211
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The only hassle would be with rugs I think.  Everything else can be piled into the middle of the room or shifted from one side to the other.  All nicely draped with drop cloths.

The problem to me is until I have the furniture I don't know what colour I want to paint the walls.  Which is probably why I would always go for white (magnolia) whereas my OH picks outrageous colour schemes.  Current discussion is what colour the kitchen walls should be to go with the slate coloured flooring and dark blue cupboards.  I suggested robin egg blue (so very pale) and he's looking into deep carmen/crimson/purple shades.  I've countered with something about a raw umber.....   

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,229
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 5 January at 8:01PM
    Brie said: Current discussion is what colour the kitchen walls should be to go with the slate coloured flooring and dark blue cupboards.  I suggested robin egg blue (so very pale) and he's looking into deep carmen/crimson/purple shades.  I've countered with something about a raw umber.....  
    Pale yellow - I did my kitchen in a very pale cadmium yellow polished plaster. For a north facing room with little natural light, a pale shade works well.
    Having decorated my stairwell recently and then maneuvered bulky stuff up the stairs, I'd say decorate afterwards. Got a couple of dings in the paper to deal with, and there will be more once I start knocking a bedroom around.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,157
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Our movers didn't cause any damage to the existing decoration. But the furniture upstairs is mainly IKEA, so was disassembled completely and reassembled in the rooms. The furniture downstairs is somewhat older and was brought in via double doors.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,015
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
     Everything else can be piled into the middle of the room or shifted from one side to the other.  All nicely draped with drop cloths.

I decorated 3 bedrooms last Winter. We moved the smaller items and mattresses out, and moved the bigger items to the centre of the room ( upended the bed frames) Put a sheet over them, and it was no issue working around them.

Probably would leave the stairwell until after stuff was delivered.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,290
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    It might be possible to get the new furniture stored, redecorating done and a reliable furniture remover to bring it in and put it in place.

Sounds not very mse but maybe if you don't need to get the decorators in again it is.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,088
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'd leave the hall, stairs and landing until all the furniture is in. Having said that, I've never had delivery people do any damage, perhaps you've just been unlucky so far.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback