IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking fine for my elderly mother

My elderly mum received a parking fine today in the post for a car park in Manchester from about a week or so ago. In the picture on the letter, it is the exact same car and colour as hers with the same number plate.

She lives in Wales and in fact, on that particular day she was at the hospital near her home in Wales, having an outpatient procedure. SHe took a taxi to the appointment so it definitely wasnt her.

Is the appeal process simple for this type of thing? Should I contact the police as there is a car driving around England somewhere with a cloned plate? She has the hospital appointment letter but apart from that, how can she prove she wasnt in England at that particular time?

THe fine is for about £100.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,211
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is there anything else that distinguishes her car from the one in the photos?  Name of dealer on plate surround or on a decal in the window, fluffy dice hanging from the rear view mirror, parking permit??
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,032
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 January at 6:48PM
    Look really closely.  Is the picture taken at dusk?  I suspect the image was slightly unclear & has been altered wrongly.

It may not be a cloned numberplate but instead an ANPR misread where the PPC has 'enhanced' the image (i.e. guessed & changed it) and got it wrong by one digit.

Which PPC?

Appeal as her online but DO NOT tick 'driver'.  Include a request for the original raw images of the car because she has not been to Manchester, and nor has her car.  Say that she suspects an ANPR misread and incorrect VRM digit enhancement because this isn't her car, so she requires them to look closer at the raw image.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Trainerman
    Trainerman Posts: 1,206
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Others may disagree but I would report to the Police as it helps them to look for a cloned car in the Manchester area. Don't forget that people who clone plates often (if not always) commit other crimes and you could be helping stop those too.

MAKE SURE you get a crime number, as this should help with appealing/refuting the PCN
  • mrcactus
    mrcactus Posts: 140
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    Is there anything else that distinguishes her car from the one in the photos?  Name of dealer on plate surround or on a decal in the window, fluffy dice hanging from the rear view mirror, parking permit??
    I don't think so, but I will definitely check.
  • mrcactus
    Forumite
    Look really closely.  Is the picture taken at dusk?  I suspect the image was slightly unclear & has been altered wrongly.

It may not be a cloned numberplate but instead an ANPR misread where the PPC has 'enhanced' the image (i.e. guessed & changed it) and got it wrong by one digit.

Which PPC?

Appeal as her online but DO NOT tick 'driver'.  Include a request for the original raw images of the car because she has not been to Manchester, and nor has her car.  Say that she suspects an ANPR misread and incorrect VRM digit enhancement because this isn't her car, so she requires them to look closer at the raw image.
    It was during the day, image in the letter is clear as day. 

Forgive me, what is a PPC?
  • mrcactus
    Forumite
    Others may disagree but I would report to the Police as it helps them to look for a cloned car in the Manchester area. Don't forget that people who clone plates often (if not always) commit other crimes and you could be helping stop those too.

MAKE SURE you get a crime number, as this should help with appealing/refuting the PCN
    That's what I was thinking. I might report to police, if it makes a difference or not - nothing to lose I guess :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    edited 5 January at 8:22PM
    PPC - Private Parking Company.

You've not yet read NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST?  Top of this forum.

Which PPC?
  • mrcactus
    Forumite

Which PPC?
    I glanced over it, but admit I didn't read it properly  :|

It was Premier Parking
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,843
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    "It was Premier Parking"

What is the full name of ppc?
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    mrcactus said:

Which PPC?
    I glanced over it, but admit I didn't read it properly  :|

It was Premier Parking
    No such company.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback