IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

No PCN ever received

On 20th December 2023 we received a letter from CTS Law asking for £170 for a parking ticket which had not been paid. Issued by Smart Parking. We had no knowledge of this and the form on SP website could not be used without a PCN number. Of course we didn't have one! And they have no phone number. CTS Law refused to give any information but after sending recorded delivery messages to both CST and Smart, we received the information that this offence was on private land, a year ago but no time or photo proof was given and Smart has passed it on to debt recovery! We have never received any correspondence during the past year so do we have a leg to stand on? How do you prove you had no letter?

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 292
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You have certainly done the right things in trying to understand what the parking incident was.  If they can't provide you with photo proof, or even a time at which the alleged parking incident occurred, no-one in their right mind should expect you to pay up.  CTS are attempting to extract money from you so they are the ones who need evidence.  Perhaps let the matter go through the legal/court process.  No court would ask you to pay for a parking ticket you never received, or for a parking incident that has not been evidenced.
  • troublemaker22
    troublemaker22 Posts: 437
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I accidentally deleted my reply! Reconstructing it as best I can.

1.  Never phone these scammers.  They are not there to help you.  They are there to help themselves to your money.

2. If you want to get the original PCN to find out what this is all about (but some in this forum might advise you to stay in blissful ignorance till they start court proceedings, which you can in al honesty defend on the basis you know nothing about it) send a subject access request asking for a copy to the data protection officers at CST Law and Smart Parking.  Attach a copy of the CST letter so they know what to look for and also proof of your name and address to show you are the correct data subject.  A Vehicle V5 registration document is good for this, so is a recent utility bill (not mobile phone) or your driving licence.  Redact sensitive information but leave your name and address showing.

3.  If you think the earlier mail went to an old address add an erasure request to delete all addresses held for you except the current one.

Send it as a single email to the data protection officers at each organisation:

CST Law [email protected]
    Smart Parking [email protected]
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,962
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The usual reason for not receiving a PCN but then receiving debt collector letters is that your V5C is not up-to-date - CHECK it.  PPC use the data that DVLA hold but then debt collectors or CST Law use a trace company to find you.
  • Nooka
    Nooka Posts: 2
    First Post
    Thanks. We finally got the original evidence and it shows we parked for 53 minutes a year ago in a private car park. We moved home 2 months before and notified the DVLA but can't find a new V5C. We have paid Smart Parking the £110 they are asking just for peace of mind but won't pay the extra £50 to CTS Law. Any suggestions appreciated should they pursue it further? How can we check date that DVLA received the change of address? 
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,152
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nooka said:
    How can we check date that DVLA received the change of address? 
    By writing to them.

Dear Sirs,
    Please can you tell me the date when the Vehicle Registration Document(V5c) for a vehicle with registration AB12XYZ was updated to reflect my current address of 123 Acacia Avenue, ANYTOWN, AT34 5PQ.

I enclose a copy of my Driving Licence which confirms my current address.

Yours faithfully...
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,513
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 January at 3:56AM
    Nooka said:
    Thanks. We finally got the original evidence and it shows we parked for 53 minutes a year ago in a private car park. We moved home 2 months before and notified the DVLA but can't find a new V5C. We have paid Smart Parking the £110 they are asking just for peace of mind but won't pay the extra £50 to CTS Law. Any suggestions appreciated should they pursue it further? How can we check date that DVLA received the change of address? 
    You PAID?  £110?!  You shouldn't have paid a penny. 

That doesn't give you any peace of mind and CST Law will still send daft threatograms 
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,661
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What an utter waste of money for false peace of mind 
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • troublemaker22
    troublemaker22 Posts: 437
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Bizarre choice. No peace of mind will be bought by this donation. Threats will still arrive. But now the scammers have you marked as a soft touch. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback