Am I able to get a refund on a course I purchased through CC?

I made a purchase for a course in April 2023 on my Credit Card. Upon making the purchase, I received an email from the business, which stipulated a refund would not be possible and that there is a deadline of 12 months for completing the course. 
The proceeding 8-9 months have presented many challenges that have now meant that I am finding it very difficult to do the work for the course and would not be able to do change my job once the course is completed. Among these challenges is now caring for a family member and not being able to suit this new business around my caring commitments. 
Before the end of December, I emailed the company asking if an exception can be made on this occasion given the various challenges I am experiencing with completing the course and they said that it is not possible. 

To my knowledge/memory, the stipulation that refunds were not possible was not stipulated prior to that confirmation email and that would have made me reconsider whether I could commit to this course or not. 

Is there any possibility of getting a refund for this course, despite them saying no? It was a substantial amount of money, which although I have mostly paid off now, I don't want it wasted because of my extenuating circumstances. Thank you in advance! 

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,925
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No, as there has been no breach by the provider.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,805
    Forumite
    LO94 said:
    I made a purchase for a course in April 2023 on my Credit Card. Upon making the purchase, I received an email from the business, which stipulated a refund would not be possible and that there is a deadline of 12 months for completing the course. 
    The proceeding 8-9 months have presented many challenges that have now meant that I am finding it very difficult to do the work for the course and would not be able to do change my job once the course is completed. Among these challenges is now caring for a family member and not being able to suit this new business around my caring commitments. 
    Before the end of December, I emailed the company asking if an exception can be made on this occasion given the various challenges I am experiencing with completing the course and they said that it is not possible. 

To my knowledge/memory, the stipulation that refunds were not possible was not stipulated prior to that confirmation email and that would have made me reconsider whether I could commit to this course or not. 

Is there any possibility of getting a refund for this course, despite them saying no? It was a substantial amount of money, which although I have mostly paid off now, I don't want it wasted because of my extenuating circumstances. Thank you in advance! 
    I'm afraid not.  Goodwill remains your only option.  You've started the course (and seemingly done a substantial amount of it) and there is no requirement for them to have stated that refunds were not possible prior to confirmation.  In any case, if you bought online there would have been an automatic right to cancel within 14 days but that's long gone.
  • LO94
    LO94 Posts: 2
    First Post
    This is very helpful to know, thank you! Sadly have not had much chance to do any on the course so I will try and complete before the deadline. Thanks again! 
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,700
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 3:25PM
    Completing an online course is lonely and tougher than in a classroom where you have the support and encouragement of other real human students and tutors.
    Real life can always get in the way. You have to review your mindset and figure out a modified way of achieving your ambition.
    3 months is not a long time in caring terms, care often goes on for years. Being a carer can seriously damage your mental health if you take on too much, you need 'me' time as well as time for other parts of your life.
    If you will be the only carer that is a serious red flag. Can you co-ordinate the care with other family members for a short time to help you complete your course? 

You don't tell us whether there is a qualifying exam, or whether you have received or have access to the last bits of the course. Can you work through the course material in your own time and take the exam when you are ready?
    Is the exam with a chartered body? If so, appeal to them for compassionate extension if the exam has a deadline.

tl:dr  
    Your aim should not be to get a refund. At most you would only get a partial refund anyway. Your aim should be how to finish that course.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback