Car was vandalised

Lost my no claim bonus of over ten years now myinsurance is over a thousand pounds

Comments

• A bit late now but this is why I always protect my NCD.
  • Stateofart
    Stateofart Posts: 267
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Lost my no claim bonus of over ten years now myinsurance is over a thousand pounds

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you lose all of it. 

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,642
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is that just a rant or is there a question?

I take it you had a claim in the last 12 months that is down as a fault claim as the vandals weren't identified and the costs recovered from them?

Assume you are now at the renewal stage and have been sent a quote which is over £1000? What does that renewal quote say about your no-claims allowance? How much was it last year and what is it now?

Not all of the increase will be due to the lower NCD as insurance for many (especially their auto renewal quotes) are up by anything up to 70%.

Have you done comparison quotes using whatever NCD is shown on the renewal (doesn't usually drop from 10 to zero unless there have been multiple claims in a short number of years).
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,140
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Do you have a question?

As above, unless your insurer has a very unusual way of dealing with NCD, you will not lose all of it for a single claim - the norm is that you drop back to 3 years (or lose two years of you had fewer than 5 years to begin with).
  • Thanks sorry it was a rant but thank you I will go back to my insurer to find out about my no claim bonus 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,182
    Forumite
    You'd traditionally go to 3 years NCD 

Using the traditional scale "over ten years" NCD was a 65% or 70% and 3 years was 50% 

Naturally it's only a discount and if you have a claim your base insurance price goes up irrespective if you are then applying a 50%, 65% or 70% discount. 

For NCDP we used to charge 15% so having 5 years NCD+P you got a 55% discount which is basically almost the same as if you'd had a fault claim so only really became value when you had your 2nd claim within 3 policy years but not the same policy year. 
  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 1,354
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Back in 1994, I remember the relief when I was finally able to protect my five years of no claims bonus.

30 years on, I still protect my NCB, even though I've never had a claim.

I was getting an insurance quote the other day just to see what the costs might be - and remembered that I was still down as having 9+ years NCB from my main car when it should have been zero because it's for a new addition.  The difference in price on the cheapest premium was exactly £2.80.  In fact none of the quotes varied by much more than pounds.

Perhaps NCB isn't all it's cracked up to be...
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,182
    Forumite
    Perhaps NCB isn't all it's cracked up to be...
    The reality is that the overwhelming majority have maximum NCD... people always brag about having 5+ years but actually it makes them the norm not the exception. In the old days it used to be up to a 70% discount but if 90% or more are getting it is it really a discount?

There are still some that publish their NCD scale and its still very similar to what we used to use other than many of them now only give 66% for 5 years (we used to give 70%) and increment 1% for the next 4 years to finally give 70% at 9+ years. 

The majority have stopped publishing NCD scales and most its now both more complex and more trivial... rather than give almost everyone 70% off instead just rate for claims history more heavily. 
  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 1,354
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There are still some that publish their NCD scale and its still very similar to what we used to use other than many of them now only give 66% for 5 years (we used to give 70%) and increment 1% for the next 4 years to finally give 70% at 9+ years. 

The majority have stopped publishing NCD scales and most its now both more complex and more trivial... rather than give almost everyone 70% off instead just rate for claims history more heavily. 
    Yes, but for quotes with no NCD and 9+ years NCD to vary by just a few pounds, that suggests I am being offered 0% discount on a cheap premium vs 90% discount on a 10x more expensive premium...  Or the base premium is the same, but the there are a set of non-NCD discounts which stack up to 89.8387%.

This is not the first time I've noticed this.  When I took out an annual policy when my daughter first started learning and we bought her a runaround in 2020 - I was expecting insurance to be high as I had no NCB to transfer from the existing fleet - made zero difference - 20 or so insurers were happy to insure me for under £200.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,099
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

Yes, but for quotes with no NCD and 9+ years NCD to vary by just a few pounds, that suggests I am being offered 0% discount on a cheap premium vs 90% discount on a 10x more expensive premium...  Or the base premium is the same, but the there are a set of non-NCD discounts which stack up to 89.8387%.

This is not the first time I've noticed this.  When I took out an annual policy when my daughter first started learning and we bought her a runaround in 2020 - I was expecting insurance to be high as I had no NCB to transfer from the existing fleet - made zero difference - 20 or so insurers were happy to insure me for under £200.
    18 months ago I expected a high insurance as zero NCB, total was £180 including breakdown & legal cover. Doubt  it would have made much difference if I had some.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure