Are Lloyds a British/English bank?

I always thought they were so if the answer is no then that will explain this I guess.

I've just been in to see upcoming payments & notice the date is in a totally foreign format: year-month-date.

Very annoying (yes I know there's 'bigger things going on in the world' (the knee jerk response whenever anyone has a moan) but I wouldn't be talking about famine & war in a banking forum would I?).

If they're British then what's going on & why on earth have they gone foreign?

Comments

• retiredbanker1
    retiredbanker1 Posts: 315
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 12:14AM
    Lloyds Bank in all of its guises over the last 260 years has always been a British bank.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,024
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I always thought they were so if the answer is no then that will explain this I guess.

I've just been in to see upcoming payments & notice the date is in a totally foreign format: year-month-date.

Very annoying (yes I know there's 'bigger things going on in the world' (the knee jerk response whenever anyone has a moan) but I wouldn't be talking about famine & war in a banking forum would I?).

Where are you looking? My upcoming payments aren't in that format; they're all showing as "4 Jan" "15 Jan" "22 Jan" etc.  if I select "payments due before" The dates offered are all in the format "Sat 3 February 2024" etc. This is in the Lloyds app. 
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,125
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 7:52AM
    EarthBoy said:

Where are you looking? My upcoming payments aren't in that format; they're all showing as "4 Jan" "15 Jan" "22 Jan" etc.  if I select "payments due before" The dates offered are all in the format "Sat 3 February 2024" etc. This is in the Lloyds app. 
    I see the ISO date format Bobby describes in the standing orders section of 'manage pending payments' in online banking. In the direct debits section of the same page the date is displayed 'dd mmm yy' so my guess is that this is just a formatting error.
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,177
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    EarthBoy said:

I see the ISO date format Bobby describes in the standing orders section of 'manage pending payments' in online banking. In the direct debits section of the same page the date is displayed 'dd mmm yy' so my guess is that this is just a formatting error.
    Exactly this. 

Never noticed it before until now so I'm hoping the system is just having a hissy fit. 

News to me about the dating formats but regardless, it's a foreign layout to me & not how I've ever read or been taught to read/write dating. Not so bad when it's the 31st of December we're talking about but very annoying when it's something like 6th of June & you're wondering which is which.

I also am not using the app. I'm using the desktop. 

Contacted Lloyds who seem to not really know about it so maybe a glitch. 

Regards the whole Lloyds group online banking, I've noticed some differences. Example - the online statement for all my accounts & various relatives looks the same & 2 of my sisters accounts look the same as all ours also... But 1 of hers has a total different layout & has done for the best part of a year. Weird. (yes, all accounts are the same type). 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,182
    Forumite

YYYY-MM-DD isn't "foreign", its a format used in IT globally and really is the best format as it means everything is sorted in date order easily 

As to is it British? How do you define that? It was founded in Birmingham, UK... its Head Office is London, UK... its largest single shareholder is US based (of the top 10 shareholders most are US and only 2 are UK)
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,177
    Forumite
    Are you a barrister? 
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,125
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

YYYY-MM-DD isn't "foreign", its a format used in IT globally and really is the best format as it means everything is sorted in date order easily 

As to is it British? How do you define that? It was founded in Birmingham, UK... its Head Office is London, UK... its largest single shareholder is US based (of the top 10 shareholders most are US and only 2 are UK)
    A company doesn't become foreign because its largest shareholder is. It's definitely a British bank, there's no doubt.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback