IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

disgusting parking charge after appealing!! more than doubled

I was issued a parking fine on private land back in August for overstaying my time by 10mins in Wantage Oxfordshire.
I appealed straight away as I had a valid reason , as I had my elderly mother with me who had been shopping in the Home Bargains shop.
She needed the toilet which there was no public toilets nearby, Sainsburys toilets were closed so we had to walk up to the centre of Wantage and use the nearest coffee shop toilet (the owner kindly let us use).
I then received a further threatening invoice  for £170 in December  (4 months from the initial fine) demanding this money and the threat of debt collectors and bad credit scoring.
I am a Registered Nurse (live on my own) and do not need any bad credit scoring.So I had no choice but to pay.
The letter stated that I had not responded to the original demand !!! I have E-mail evidence that it was sent back in August and had a response to say they would look in to it.
I rang the Wantage council who said it is nothing to do with them!!
I feel very cheated and angry and would like my money back??

The telephone number and E-mail address sent back this time with do-not-reply-so what am I to do???

Comments

• troublemaker22
    troublemaker22 Posts: 408
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    All the advice in the Newbies thread and all the other advice on this forum is never to pay.  So long as you don't pay, you should always win. But once you've made a substantial and unnecessary donation to these scammers, you might as well kiss goodbye to it.  I can't think of any way to get it back that will work and not cost you more than you've already donated. 

I've made bigger blunders in the past and now regret the emotional toll of beating myself up for them more than I regret the blunders themselves. 

I suggest you put it down to experience and look forward to 2024 rather than backward to 2023.

Happy New Year!

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,323
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 12:19AM
    You should never have paid and can't get your money back from this scam.  There was no reason to pay.  Would have been easy to defend but sadly you have fallen victim.

I have also made expensive mistakes in my life. We all have.  You live and learn.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback