Virgin Media won't honour new contract

Hi, my virgin Media contact ends in January. They sent me a text at the beginning of December offering a new 18 month contract for the same package at £84 a month.

I accepted but my latest bill doest reflect this. January's payment will be £110 and then from February they will take £150 a month. These payments should only occur if I didn't enter a new contract.

I've made a complaint and asked them to amend my payments inline with our new contract and to credit the extra money they are taking in January back to my Virgin Media account.

Their response is: We are sorry you are not happy with your new package price of £84 a month. As a goodwill gesture we can offer you a new contact for £117 a month. 😳

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. 

How would you tackle this? 

Thank you

Comments

• GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 1,913
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Switch to another provider, in my view.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,241
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I strongly suspect many Customer Service operations are now operated by bots and they simply can't do the job.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,762
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ring them, tell them you don't want a new contract, look elsewhere, and await the inevitable call offering you a better deal which you can then decide to take or not.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,380
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, my virgin Media contact ends in January. They sent me a text at the beginning of December offering a new 18 month contract for the same package at £84 a month.

I accepted but my latest bill doest reflect this. January's payment will be £110 and then from February they will take £150 a month. These payments should only occur if I didn't enter a new contract.

I've made a complaint and asked them to amend my payments inline with our new contract and to credit the extra money they are taking in January back to my Virgin Media account.

Their response is: We are sorry you are not happy with your new package price of £84 a month. As a goodwill gesture we can offer you a new contact for £117 a month. 😳

Thank you

How complete was your acceptance of the 18-month contract at £84 monthly?

I recently accepted a new contract with Virgin Media and the acceptance was a multi-step process which included a long docu-sign contract being executed by them and by me.  
    Did you follow that whole process all the way through?
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,266
    Forumite
    I suspect that a replacement bill will be generated before your DD is due to be taken with the monthly cost set to £84, I recently left Virgin Media and they generated a bill for my usual amount for December but then replaced it with one for a refund of overpaid charges (although I am still waiting for the refund to hit my account). If you want to avoid the VM bots I recommend using the Community Forum, where I had some very good advice on a range of issues.
    Taking @GingerTim's suggestion may not be as easy as he thinks if you no longer have a BT line to enable you to switch to another legacy provider, but you could do what I did and switch to a mobile broadband provider - I went with Three (£20 a month, and £0 for the first 3 months, rather than the VM cost that was similar to your package) as they have the best 5G signal here, you'd need to do a bit of research for your own area to pick the most suitable one.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,094
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Virgin are a perplexing company to deal with; just say you're leaving.
  • Hi, my virgin Media contact ends in January. They sent me a text at the beginning of December offering a new 18 month contract for the same package at £84 a month.

Thank you

How complete was your acceptance of the 18-month contract at £84 monthly?

I recently accepted a new contract with Virgin Media and the acceptance was a multi-step process which included a long docu-sign contract being executed by them and by me.  
    Did you follow that whole process all the way through?
    Yes it did that's why I'm so confused
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,557
    Forumite
    edited 2 January at 12:54PM
    Agree with @Grumpy_chap

You have to agree to the new contract emailed out to you, & they know when you have. If you do not, then they take it that you disagree with that new contract, so will default back to the old one.

When I renewed mine, I was still in a chat with the rep when agreeing & they knew I had agreed & confirmed the new deal.

If they did, then it may update next month after the old contract ends.
    Life in the slow lane
  • DjangoUnchained
    DjangoUnchained Posts: 394
    Forumite
    this is their common practise for at least the last two years/ There is a facebook page dedicated to thousands of people dealing with this nonsense. Dont try and phone them, you'l be given the run-around and promises that arnt kept. All you can do is cancel 30 days before end of contract, make sure you cancel your direct debit, and find a new supplier. Virgin will try and call you, dont engage, they will even text you with a great offer but dont be fooled, it wont happen. Its scandalous how they behave.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,675
    Forumite
    Why do you say 'Make sure you cancel your Direct Debit'?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback