Laptop repair

Hello

Recently my daughter's laptop developed a couple of faults, two keys (the @ key and backspace) and about 20% of the screen stopped working as a touch screen.
She paid £350 up front to have it repaired towards the end of November. She picked it up after 2 weeks, took it home and the faults were still there. She took it back to the shop and picked it up about a week later and the faults are still there. She asked for her money back but the girl working in the shop said she couldn't authorise this, only the shop owner could (and he rarely seems to be around). And then, she argued that the shop had spent money on the repair and the supplier of the parts guarantees them for 3 months. My daughter is loath to return her laptop again as she needs it for her work and even though its partially broken, it's still usable. The girl working in the shop suggested that my daughter  email the owner of the shop. My daughter did this straight away but he has not bothered to reply. I have been into the shop to say that the owner has not responded and was told by the girl in the shop that she would tell him to "look at his emails". We've still not heard anything.
Is my daughter entitled to her money back at this point?
Thanks for any help with this.

Gareth 

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 283
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The shop have released the laptop back to your daughter twice.  Both times the faults were still very obviously unresolved.  Either the shop are totally incompetent, or they just replaced screen and keyboard keys.
    Had the shop been instructed to diagnose the problems with the laptop - or did your daughter pay £350 to replace the screen and keys?
    I'm not an expert at laptop repairs but I think the problem with the screen could be down to a faulty cable.  The issues with the keyboard keys could potentially be a cable, or may require a replacement keyboard.

• Mark_d said:
    The shop have released the laptop back to your daughter twice.  Both times the faults were still very obviously unresolved.  Either the shop are totally incompetent, or they just replaced screen and keyboard keys.
    Had the shop been instructed to diagnose the problems with the laptop - or did your daughter pay £350 to replace the screen and keys?
    I'm not an expert at laptop repairs but I think the problem with the screen could be down to a faulty cable.  The issues with the keyboard keys could potentially be a cable, or may require a replacement keyboard.

Yeah to add to this - I think it’s pretty much the norm to test the component you replaced to make sure they’re functioning. It appears they didn’t here (even if they did replace the components). 

Depending on the laptop - normally these two components are a nightmare to remove. The screen often requires the whole lid to be replaced (rather than just the panel - the screens are so thin now that it’s just so hard to separate the panel from the body) and the keyboard normally needs the whole internals of the device removed to replace it. At that point, it’s arguably cheaper to replace the whole laptop. 

But in any sense - it appears they’ve not repaired the device (and not tested to see if the components they replaced are functioning). How did she pay? If card/credit card then you can submit a Section 75 (but check the invoice - each line item should be over £100 for a S75 claim) or a chargeback. Chargebacks may or may not be successful. Failing that, if the shop still doesn’t reply (bearing in minds it’s Christmas break currently - owner may not be checking emails) then I would pursue a small claims court claim. Hopefully just the letter before action will be enough. 
  • Ok, well I did advise my daughter that £350 was a lot to pay for a repair and she may well be better off getting a new one, but what does dad know? That was what the shop said it would take to fix the fault. She paid by bank transfer. I do appreciate its Christmas break at the moment so will give it a couple of days into the new year before chasing up again.
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
  • drcymru said:
    Ok, well I did advise my daughter that £350 was a lot to pay for a repair and she may well be better off getting a new one, but what does dad know? That was what the shop said it would take to fix the fault. She paid by bank transfer. I do appreciate its Christmas break at the moment so will give it a couple of days into the new year before chasing up again.
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
    Bank transfers are like cash. Outside of small claims, there’s only the stores refunds policy. Personally, I would try their returns policy a little bit longer and then go small claims route. 
  • Thanks for the advice @RefluentBeans. Probably the way I'll go.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback