Being eligible for the work pension scheme

Worked eight weeks for same place.  When should I force payroll to put me on the governement work pension scheme where the company must match the money you pay in?

Comments

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Auto enrolment (subject to you meeting the criteria) is mandatory after three months of employment.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 December 2023 at 12:22AM
    The company doesn’t have to match the money that you put in. They have to pay a minimum 3% if you are eligible. There is no obligation on them to match if you are putting in a higher contribution.
    What information have you been given so far by the company about their pension scheme?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 27 December 2023 at 12:26AM
    textbook said:
    Worked eight weeks for same place.  When should I force payroll to put me on the governement work pension scheme where the company must match the money you pay in?
    Assume that you are an eligible jobholder.

The employer can delay automatic enrolment for up to 3 months. You should have been informed by now of when you will be enrolled. You should ask your employer for this information.

There is no government work pension scheme. Your employer will have chosen a private pension provider to meet their automatic enrolment obligations for their employees.

The pension entitlement is not to matching contributions, but to statutory minimum contributions.
  • What pension scheme does your employer operate?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    textbook said:
    How old are you?
    How much are you earning from this job?

Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • gm0
    gm0 Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Many companies will indeed wait to do compulsory auto-enrollment within the time limit but not the first week or month you join.

But many (larger) employer schemes will also take an "i want to join immediately" application from an employee prior to the backstop date and go and add you in month one or two. 

This is not forcing anyone to do anything.  The scheme is offered.  You apply.  You are now setup as an employee.  So you are added.  Payroll updated.  Scheme info packs land. If you don't force the pace the employer is obliged to the government to do it anyway by month 3 - unless you follow a different official "opt out" process

And thus you can often request to do it sooner (by a couple of months).  

I don't really see why anyone would not do this where it is available. 

Employeer intranet / hr info / help line should have scheme and contact information on it.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Also the employer may want to see that you will be a suitable employee ( probationary period) before getting started with the pension admin.
  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Marcon said:
    textbook said:
    How old are you?

I earn about £500 gross every two weeks.  47.  Do 15hrs a week.    they will assess if I'm on it today
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    textbook said:
    Marcon said:
    textbook said:
    How old are you?

I earn about £500 gross every two weeks.  47.  Do 15hrs a week.    they will assess if I'm on it today
    That's above the minimum earnings level needed for auto enrolment, so there shouldn't be any issue on that score.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback