Any idea how to value chandelier?

No idea where to start! Don't even know if it's considered an antique, perhaps I get an antiques merchant to look at it? Or am wasting my time? Thankyou.

Comments

• It won't be worth much because it isn't crystal. If it was, your ceiling would be coming down with the weight ! 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,298
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    check on ebay or local second hand shops to see what they say?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,314
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    It looks 1920s, could be earlier.
    You could try google photo match and see what it comes up with.
    And trawling Google images etc. It's a bit of a game but it's surprising what comes up on auction sites and antique sales.

Do eBay still do on line auction , you used to be able to withdraw it once you've seen the bidding.

I think you are looking at vintage and collectibles but could be more.
    It's a niche product. Someone (like me) would love it but with the days of minimalism it's finding your market.

Dealers supplying interior design is probably your aim. That would be the London area and south east.
    If you know any real antique shops you could take a photo in and ask for background and age.

But it's one of those items that depends on finding the right buyer.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,961
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    In Kensington, London there are three chandelier shops, which you could enquire with. (There may be others too)

The Kensington Lighting Company
    Mrs M.E. Crick Chandeliers
    Ann's

This isn't any sort of recommendation, as I've only gone past them on the bus,  but worth a try if you call them up?

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,504
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

No idea where to start! Don't even know if it's considered an antique, perhaps I get an antiques merchant to look at it? Or am wasting my time?
    The chains look to be rather crudely made, and the brass parts very clean and shiny... do you clean the brass or has it always looked like that?

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,582
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you have a local auction house that you could send photos to ?
  • No idea where to start! Don't even know if it's considered an antique, perhaps I get an antiques merchant to look at it? Or am wasting my time? Thankyou.
    What reason are you wanting to value it? For insurance purposes? To decide if it's worth selling? To decide if it goes in the bin or on eBay after you replace it?
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,861
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's worth nothing.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Section62 said:

No idea where to start! Don't even know if it's considered an antique, perhaps I get an antiques merchant to look at it? Or am wasting my time?
    The chains look to be rather crudely made, and the brass parts very clean and shiny... do you clean the brass or has it always looked like that?

No idea was from an inherited place, likely not cleaned in years though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback