IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Court papers arrived

Hi guys,

I have papers through from Northampton County Court over an alleged unpaid fine from a few years ago.

I have had no communication with the PPC and have allowed the letter chain to escalate to this point.

I need to submit a response this week. What's the best advice please?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,148
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    1. So that regular contributor @KeithP can provide you with a timeline that you will need to work to, please provide us with the 'Date of Issue' on the court claim form and confirm whether you have acknowledged service, and if so, on what date please. 

2. Which parking firm?

3. Which solicitors are representing them?

Please read the following sticky threads (Announcements) near the top of the forum thread list, one click back from this thread:

NEWBIES FAQ Announcement, second post

Template Defence Announcement 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Thanks Umkomaas,

Issue Date is 7/12/23

PPC is Spring Parking Ltd

Solicitors - DCB Legal Ltd
  • FYI I haven't acknowledged anything. I gave the car to my parents a number of years ago but stayed as the registered owner for some stupid reason.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,113
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    plc1982 said:
    I have papers through from Northampton County Court...
    Just a slight correction there... I think you'll find that the papers came from the HMCTS Civil Business Centre, which is also in Northampton but a different place entirely.

With a Claim Issue Date of 7th December, you have until Thursday 28th December to file an Acknowledgment of Service but there is nothing to be gained by delaying it. 
    To file an Acknowledgment of Service, follow the guidance in the Dropbox file linked from the second post in the NEWBIES thread.
    Having filed an Acknowledgment of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Tuesday 9th January 2024 to file your Defence.
    That's over three weeks away. Plenty of time to produce a Defence, but please don't leave it to the last minute. 
    To create a Defence, and then file a Defence by email, look again at the second post on the NEWBIES thread - immediately following where you found the Acknowledgment of Service guidance.
    Don't miss the deadline for filing an Acknowledgment of Service, nor that for filing a Defence.

Do not try and file a Defence via the MoneyClaimOnline website. Once an Acknowledgment of Service has been filed, the MCOL website should be treated as 'read only'.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,425
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Read the comment by @Johnersh on the other Spring Parking claim thread. Worth including.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • plc1982
    plc1982 Posts: 8
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hey guys - just finalising my defense.

The template includes a link to government guidelines in paragraph in paragraph 9, however the link to the Government website has been withdrawn. Should I remove this from my defense?
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    No.  Read it again. Your defence explains this.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,113
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    plc1982 said:
    Hey guys - just finalising my defense.

The template includes a link to government guidelines in paragraph in paragraph 9, however the link to the Government website has been withdrawn. Should I remove this from my defense?
    Not necessary to remove anything. 
    The link to the Guidelines is still there and working.
    Paragraph 10 of the template Defence acknowledges that the Guidelines were temporality withdrawn.

And by the way, there is no letter 's' in the word defence.   ;)
  • plc1982
    plc1982 Posts: 8
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks all,

My spellcheck comes up with an error on defence for some reason!
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    edited 8 January at 11:22PM
    Your spellcheck is set to US. Eek!  That would drive me mad because they can't spell... 

:) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback