Help to work things out

Wondering if you wise people can help me figure things out?  I'm a single mum to 2 children (2 and almost 5).  I am currently earning between £480 and £590 a month working just one day a week and  getting about £900 universal credits, plus council tax benefit, 85% back in childcare.  I will need to keep going to the job centre as its under the threshold but as I have an under 3 year old I don't think it will be much more than a formality for now...

I've seen a job working 18.5 hours a week which will mean working 2.5 days so I will need more help with school run/nursery run etc for 2 more days and its £20000 a year part time earnings so I think it would be about £1600 a month.  I think this would be taxed as well so I would get less.  Would I still get any universal credits?  I did a calculator thing and it was saying I would get about £70 a month including some nursery fees back.  Would I still get the council tax benefit? I have a mortgage so don't get any help towards this from UC and my small wage almost pays this.  I have credit card debts and want to sort it out, but just don't want to work another day and a half extra to get the same or even less money.  I'm also trying to do creative projects on the side which will hopefully lead to more money in the future and this would be harder if I'm working more.  I obviously don't want to be on UC forever but just trying to work things out for the next few months.

Thanks!

Comments

• The online calculators are generally accurate to the figures you've put into them. There are also online calculators for gross to net pay, as you are correct in that you'd have some income tax and NI deductions.

I think there are changes afoot where UC will start to expect parents to be earning equivalent of 30 hours/wk at min wage. So you should probably be looking forwards to what you're going to do when your youngest reaches 3. The 30 hours @ NMW is a gross income not far below the 20k job you're considering, especially after next April's NMW increase. It may well be better to take the 18.5hrs for 20k/yr now than end up being pushed into 30 hours and NMW when your youngest turns 3? I've no idea how much pressure UC system puts on people who are earning below their AET (or CET in future). But they do seem to be toughening up to try and to push claimants into working/earning more.
  • The online calculators are generally accurate to the figures you've put into them. There are also online calculators for gross to net pay, as you are correct in that you'd have some income tax and NI deductions.

I think there are changes afoot where UC will start to expect parents to be earning equivalent of 30 hours/wk at min wage. So you should probably be looking forwards to what you're going to do when your youngest reaches 3. The 30 hours @ NMW is a gross income not far below the 20k job you're considering, especially after next April's NMW increase. It may well be better to take the 18.5hrs for 20k/yr now than end up being pushed into 30 hours and NMW when your youngest turns 3? I've no idea how much pressure UC system puts on people who are earning below their AET (or CET in future). But they do seem to be toughening up to try and to push claimants into working/earning more.
    Thanks. I really don't like the job I'm doing as well even though its only one day a week! It's not that nice being under pressure to earn more and I know it will get worse when my daughter turns 3 so thats another thing to consider.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback