Debt company has taken money out of my bank account

Hi can anyone help, I recently had £250 taken out of my bank account. When I contacted the bank, they advised I should contact the company directly. They advised it was a debt company. They provided details as I haven’t received any notification of this. 
I contacted the company who advised they couldn’t find me via name and postcode. I was asked to email them. 
I have been told they can’t proceed without a customer number. I don’t have a customer number. I have been in touch with the bank multiple times and this company with no resolution. What can I do now. 
I don’t believe I have any debt to warrant this payment. 

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    there are only two ways somebody can take money out of your bank account

1. a debit card payment

2. a direct debit

do you know which of these it was as this is important
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    km1500 said:

1. a debit card payment

2. a direct debit

Are you including Continuous Payment Authorities within debit card payments, as they'd typically be treated as two different methods even though the former requires the debit card number?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,229
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you checked your credit record?  There might be a clue on that.  The credit histories that I see invariably have an account/reference number of some sort for each creditor.

Check your credit rating & report for free – MSE (moneysavingexpert.com)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • km1500 said:

1. a debit card payment

2. a direct debit

You are ignoring a third party debt order (or a bank arrestment in Scotland), though that does require court action. 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/action-your-creditor-can-take/creditor-takes-money-from-your-bank-account/
  • Hi this was taken by a debit card transaction. I have no links to this on my credit record. Bank isn’t budging, they are saying it’s the debt company to resolve. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,374
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 December 2023 at 6:16PM
    Has the bank / stopped the debit card?
    Would be prudent if it may have been compromised.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,552
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi this was taken by a debit card transaction. I have no links to this on my credit record. Bank isn’t budging, they are saying it’s the debt company to resolve. 
    Go back, say this is fraud. As you have spoken to co & has nothing to do with you. Make sure card is stopped & replaced.
    If they won't raise a complaint.

Payment Services Directive Say's they have to refund straight away (by end of day)
    Life in the slow lane
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 December 2023 at 6:27PM
    Hi this was taken by a debit card transaction. I have no links to this on my credit record. Bank isn’t budging, they are saying it’s the debt company to resolve. 
    If you're confident that you have never provided your debit card number to this company (even potentially operating under another name) then you can dispute the transaction as unauthorised, and your bank must refund you or prove that you authorised it (or were negligent/complicit):

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/unauthorised-payments-account
  • Marvelgirl 21 I know you say you have no debt to warrant this deduction from your bank account - can you please confirm whether you have had any problems whatsoever in the past with any finance/bank/credit/loan/catalogue/mobile phone etc agreements.
    Also please confirm that you have not acted as guarantor for anybody else.

If you have the original debt might have been sold on which might explain why they could not find you when you contacted them.

If you are 100% certain that this debt has nothing whatsoever to do with you go back to your bank and make a formal complaint.
    Please keep us updated.
  • Marvelgirl 21 I know you say you have no debt to warrant this deduction from your bank account - can you please confirm whether you have had any problems whatsoever in the past with any finance/bank/credit/loan/catalogue/mobile phone etc agreements.
    Also please confirm that you have not acted as guarantor for anybody else.

If you have the original debt might have been sold on which might explain why they could not find you when you contacted them.

If you are 100% certain that this debt has nothing whatsoever to do with you go back to your bank and make a formal complaint.
    Please keep us updated.
    The only lawful sources (i.e. not authorised by the account holder) would be the bank itself, a court ordered payment or HMRC - none of which would be a debit card payment. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback