Pension credit help

My mum claims the higher rate Attendance Allowance and I wanted to know if this helps with claiming Pension Credit.  The combined pensions of my parents and their savings just takes them over, so I was just checking to see if this benefit makes any difference.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,256
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    AA is one of the benefits that isn't asset related and not counted towards things like pension credit as it is not income.  As I understand it if your parents combined income and savings take them above a certain level then they can't have pension credit.  It seems ridiculous to me that someone on just state pension alone can be above this amount when you consider that they still are getting very little to live on.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • F1Fan
    F1Fan Posts: 50
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    AA is one of the benefits that isn't asset related and not counted towards things like pension credit as it is not income.  As I understand it if your parents combined income and savings take them above a certain level then they can't have pension credit.  It seems ridiculous to me that someone on just state pension alone can be above this amount when you consider that they still are getting very little to live on.  
    Thank you for your quick reply.  I couldn't agree more.  This is mostly my dad's side of the pension, mum finished early to look after the children and dad worked hard all his working life, both in their mid eighties now.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,850
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    F1Fan said:
    My mum claims the higher rate Attendance Allowance and I wanted to know if this helps with claiming Pension Credit.  The combined pensions of my parents and their savings just takes them over, so I was just checking to see if this benefit makes any difference.
            Potentially it does as a carers element of c.£43 can then be added to the PC minimum couples amount of c.£307.
    AA is disregarded as income for the calculation of PC.

I'd suggest checking on a PC calculator:
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/benefits-calculator/

Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,248
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I was not eligible for PC as my income was too high.  When I got Attendance Allowance I was told that it was worth applying as AA can change the parameters.  I put my details in the 3 main benefit calculators and they all gave the same result, I was eligible for PC.  However when I applied my claim was rejected.  I appealed and sent copies of the benefit calculator results plus an email from Age U.K. who agreed that I should receive it.  I didn’t get an answer so wrote to them but I never heard back.  Getting them on the phone was impossible.

6 months ago I applied again but I’m still waiting to hear from them.  
  • I was not eligible for PC as my income was too high.  When I got Attendance Allowance I was told that it was worth applying as AA can change the parameters.  I put my details in the 3 main benefit calculators and they all gave the same result, I was eligible for PC.  However when I applied my claim was rejected.  I appealed and sent copies of the benefit calculator results plus an email from Age U.K. who agreed that I should receive it.  I didn’t get an answer so wrote to them but I never heard back.  Getting them on the phone was impossible.

6 months ago I applied again but I’m still waiting to hear from them.  
    If it involves a service charge I found PC a nightmare to deal with.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure