Faulty tube lighting

I volunteer and I put a new 4ft strip light in one of their offices, also a new starter.
There wasn't a bulb or starter in previously. There are single and some double light fittings, if they were all working, it would be really bright.
So there are a few fittings without bulbs.
The next time I went back to this office, the bulb wasn't working, in two fittings next to it, one is working and one not.
People come and go in this office, it's not used all the time. What should I look for, for the cause of this bulb only lasting a day?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Any chance the new bulb was LED? 
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,807
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    grumbler said:
    Any chance the new bulb was LED? 

No, I don't think it was, I believe it was a standard fluorescent bulb,
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Could be a faulty starter. If the budget allows, I'd replace the whole fitting with an LED strip light.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    Could be a faulty starter. If the budget allows, I'd replace the whole fitting with an LED strip light.

Not sure they would allow me to do that, it had probably been one working of three for quite some time. That made it dim at the other side of the room.
    No one seems to take an interest in maintaining these offices.
    There may be a starter in another unit that I could try.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2023 at 7:47AM
    If the is 2 bulbs in a unit and a bad bulb is left in, it will take out a brand new bulb fast as it dies if a single bulb alone won't work as its in a circut.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,536
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

I volunteer and I put a new 4ft strip light in one of their offices, also a new starter.

Where did the tube and starter come from?

You say "No one seems to take an interest in maintaining these offices".  Someone must be responsible, and if they aren't taking their H&S responsibilities seriously then they (personally) could end up with a criminal conviction.  Rather than trying to fix the light yourself (and risking your or someone else's safety) it would probably be better to find out who in the organisation is responsible for H&S and alert them to what is going on.
  • Generally speaking, when you switch on, if a tube is glowing dark at the ends then a new tube is needed.  If a tube flashes white all along, then the starter is at fault.  And check the wattage of the starter as there are different ratings...both a tube and a starter will have the wattage on it.    If you've replaced both with genuinely new or working items, then it's possible the old heavy ballast within the fitting has 'gone', in which case the only real answer is a completely new fitting.   And then it would be best to replace with a LED.   I used to sell these things years ago.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,981
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Does the organisation you volunteer for rent the office - then the replacement of the lighting may well be the landlord's responsibility.

I had something similar - a fitting that didn't want to work - I found a burning contact and sent the landlord a photo - hey presto electrician turned up and replaced all the fittings.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,195
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    Does the organisation you volunteer for rent the office - then the replacement of the lighting may well be the landlord's responsibility.

I had something similar - a fitting that didn't want to work - I found a burning contact and sent the landlord a photo - hey presto electrician turned up and replaced all the fittings.
    Careful with advice like that, the commercial building I managed had us as occupiers fully responsible for all maintenance….randomly sending the landlord evidence like that would have had them harassing us to fix everything up to current standards within 30 days, or they would step in and use their emergency contractors and then charge 15% on top for “project management”
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:

They own the building. I will have another look, the next time I am there. That could be a week or so.
    They do have a manager for the building, but he just really does the upstairs hall. He will be the one that gets it sorted, possibly changing to LED, sometime in the future.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback