Roof leak advice please/ whose responsibility?

Hi there, looking for some advice please if possible. Moved into a new build 4.5 years ago. Roof started leaking early on and roofers have been out on numerous occasions to try and fix the leak (we went for about a year when it oddly didn’t leak or didn’t penetrate through the ceiling) but they are now saying that they have exhausted all possible causes of  the leak and think the leak may be coming from a lack of membrane under the end coping stones. They contacted the original builder who advised as the property is over 2 years old it’s nothing to do with them, we’ve also tried to contact them with no success. 10 year warranty is with CRL so I guess this is our next point of contact but should it not fall to the original builder to resolve if this leak was reported during the first 2 years? Many thanks in advance for any advice given. 

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When did you first inform the original builder of the leaks?
  • frowner
    frowner Posts: 139
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 December 2023 at 6:39PM
    It was identified in the snagging list before we moved in as there was evidence of water damage on the bathroom ceiling but we were told that it had been rectified. Leak reappeared 3 months after moving in.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    frowner said:
    It was identified in the snagging list before we moved in as there was evidence of water damage on the bathroom ceiling but we were told that it had been rectified. Leak reappeared 3 months after moving in.

Ok, that helps. You didn't go back to them since then? But you do have a record of other roofers trying to sort it.
    When it leaks, does the water always come in the same place, ending up in that bathroom?
    Do you have Legal Protection on your insurance?
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 670
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 December 2023 at 7:25PM
    Just go to CRL and tell them the timeline.  They will decide if it's them or the builder that needs to fix it and they will make sure the builder does it if it is them
  • frowner
    Forumite
    Thanks all for taking the time to reply. We have been back to them several times as the leak has reappeared in exactly the same spot on a number of occasions, they have organised the original roofers to attend and fix. This time though the roofers are saying they can do no more and the builder has said as it’s after 2 years it’s not their problem. I will look at the home insurance as I think we do have legal protection. My worry with CRL is in the policy it mentions a £1000 excess which I am worrying about.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    The leak is in the same spot = it's the original leak, almost certainly, which was ID'd in the snagging list. 

Call your LP tomorrow. First write down a brief chronological account - when leaks happened, who tried to sort it, and the outcome so you can refer to it clearly.
  • frowner
    Forumite
    Sorry what is LP?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,256
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    frowner said:
    Sorry what is LP?
    Legal Protection - An add-on for most household insurance policies.
    Some of us think that TiW gets a commission for each policy sold.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,716
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2023 at 6:51AM
    FreeBear said:
    frowner said:
    Sorry what is LP?
    Legal Protection - An add-on for most household insurance policies.
    Some of us think that TiW gets a commission for each policy sold.

Do you get paid every time you have to elaborate on what "LP" is? 
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2023 at 7:30AM
    Yes - half my commission. 
    Tbf, I did mention 'Legal Protection' in an earlier post to the OP on here.

Anyway, what do you think Frowner's situation is here, Doozer?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback