MIF light touch?

What are minimum earnings floor at the moment to stay on light touch please?

It says The current Administrative Earnings Threshold level for an individual claimant is £355 per calendar month and £567 per calendar month for couples

so as long as £567month you stay on light touch?

Comments

• R200
    R200 Posts: 175
    First Post
    Forumite
    I thought there were some changes and it will be getting better?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,741
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The MIF can only apply if you're self employed. If PAYE then it doesn't apply. I believe the AET is changing to £812 for individual claimants and £1,309 for couples, i don't know when this is due to take place.
  • Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 315
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Current AETs are £677 and £1083.
    These are (or were!) due to go up in "Autumn 2023" to £812 and £1309.
    In April, these will go up to £892 and £1437.
    Then at some point next year, the couples rate will be cancelled, and each claimant will only ever be put in the light touch regime based on their own earnings.

On a slightly separate point, from next year, even those in the light touch regime will start having interviews and the jobcentre, and be expected to undertake work preparation activities.

• R200
    First Post
    Forumite
    The MIF can only apply if you're self employed. If PAYE then it doesn't apply. I believe the AET is changing to £812 for individual claimants and £1,309 for couples, i don't know when this is due to take place.
    Thank you so much Poppy yes I meant AET.

So what happens if someone’s income falls under that? Do you immediately have work search requirements?

are there different levels of work search requirements between someone working and almost earning the required level and someone not working at all?
  • R200
    First Post
    Forumite
    Yamor said:
    Current AETs are £677 and £1083.
    These are (or were!) due to go up in "Autumn 2023" to £812 and £1309.
    In April, these will go up to £892 and £1437.
    Then at some point next year, the couples rate will be cancelled, and each claimant will only ever be put in the light touch regime based on their own earnings.

On a slightly separate point, from next year, even those in the light touch regime will start having interviews and the jobcentre, and be expected to undertake work preparation activities.

Is there a link explaining these proposed changes?

I thought what Jeramy Hunt announced the other day was making things better for those struggling households? I thought £800 year increased housing element to UC and things like that?

so if they are going to cancel the couples rate they are forcing mothers into the workforce?
  • R200
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2023 at 2:02PM
    Thanks so much Yamor.

reading through your links it makes me think they will probably postpone it again as so many working people would have to be going to the jobcenter so often and it would be very bad for votes

also it’s going to be as if there is no difference between light touch and just being unemployed as you still have to keep going to the JC for interviews?
  • Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 315
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are unemployed, you will generally be placed in the "Intensive Work Search" group, and will have to search for work and be available for work. You would also have to attend the jobcentre at least once every fortnight (or even every week for some).
  • R200
    First Post
    Forumite
    So there will be a deference between intensive work search for the totally unemployed and those on lite touch?

I can see huge numbers of working households having to go to the jobcenter showing they are doing all they can to earn more but all the jobs don’t fit around picking up the kids and dropping them off
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback