Will I degrade the house if I dont turn on heating?

Havnt noticed any repercussions over the past 2 weeks when its bene below 4C almost every day yet. Am considering putting it on in every room for 2x30 minute sessions a day. How much would that translate to in heating costs roughly, £50 a month? It's above average size.
Thanks.

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,808
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 December 2023 at 10:24AM
    What is your aim, is this a house unoccupied or are your trying to not heat like @HertsLad for maximum savings?

A long but good read

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6334019/how-to-live-without-heating-save-000s/p1
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Its regarding my occupied property. Im doing the same as herts, yeah. Did it last year too and it was fine except some clothing got mouldy, Im bringing certain items into the only room im currently heating with an electric heater for 20 minutes a day.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,880
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It depends on your property. Get a thermometer and have a look to see what sort of temperatures your are dropping down to. My house is mid terrace and even when I got home from work at 0530 on a morning when it was -11c over night the temperature inside was still +8c. I've never bothered to heat the property except when I needed it personally in 21 years with no ill effects. Today the thermometer in the front room reads 19c with no heating on.
    I would say you probably want to keep above 6c long term with maybe an odd dip below. That is of course just my opinion.

Darren

Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,018
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I keep my one unheated spare room in check by running a desiccant dehumidifier for an hour a day overnight on E7 cheap rate which keeps it close to 60%. No signs of plaster damage or mould and this has been the case for a few years since I moved in. My spare room also dropped to below 5C during the last few sub zero days.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,905
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    For those reading HertsLad’s thread in conjunction with this, do bear in mind that his house has a big “advantage” (in this respect)  in that it’s very well ventilated as I recall - single glazed windows and relatively little in the way of insulation - and so as a result he doesn’t get the damp problems that many people would find occurred if they failed to heat a house but still used it “as normal” in terms of potentially drying washing, showering etc.  he has commented previously that his house will essentially drop right down to external temperatures at times - not something most people would find happened. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Very true it's a bit like one of our shed outdoors with gaps in the door. Perfect ratio between outside and inside and nothing goes mouldy in there. Single paned 4 windows and good ventilation and gets down to outside temps at times but generally a few degrees above in winter. No other sources of wet such as people perspiring or showers or cooking tasks that all create moisture.
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    EssexHebridean said: For those reading HertsLad’s thread in conjunction with this, do bear in mind that his house has a big “advantage” (in this respect)  in that it’s very well ventilated as I recall - single glazed windows and relatively little in the way of insulation
    Not everyone wants to live in the eighteenth century. Modern housing should be well insulated and easy to keep warm.
    *This place used to have single glazed windows back in the 1970s. They got replaced with (badly fitted) double glazing which I have replaced yet again in recent years, and killed the draughts in the process. Whilst it wasn't particularly cheap, improving the quality of life is much more important.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,905
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    EssexHebridean said: For those reading HertsLad’s thread in conjunction with this, do bear in mind that his house has a big “advantage” (in this respect)  in that it’s very well ventilated as I recall - single glazed windows and relatively little in the way of insulation
    Not everyone wants to live in the eighteenth century. Modern housing should be well insulated and easy to keep warm.
    *This place used to have single glazed windows back in the 1970s. They got replaced with (badly fitted) double glazing which I have replaced yet again in recent years, and killed the draughts in the process. Whilst it wasn't particularly cheap, improving the quality of life is much more important.
    Oh I completely agree - that was my point with the (in this respect) comment - for him, in his specific circumstances, it IS an advantage - I suspect his house may well have seen some significant issues developing if it were better insulated. I most certainly wouldn’t want to live in a property like that if I had the choice. Come to that, I wouldn’t want to live without heating either! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills