Benefits entitlement

Hi, I am self-employed but this year has ended me up in great financial difficulties due to the IT contracting world falling apart. I am married with 2 children and a mortgage. I have filled out an online universal credit form but have been informed we are not entitled to anything due to my wife having a part time job (15k P/A). Savings have now been used up an I am unable to pay monthly outgoings. Please help/advise as I have worked all of my life and have never been in this situation before which is becoming desperate.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,048
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You do not say whether you have any income from your self employment or not.

Having done a swift calculation for universal credit with your earnings being nil then you would be eligible for some UC.

It would be helpful to know what figures you have used to complete the UC application.  It would appear that when you did it you were receiving some income from your self employment?
  • Can you do a PAYE job full time in IT? Most Bluechip companies are advertising for Infrastructure/Wintel engineers.

Would be a bonus if you are SC/DV cleared. 
  • You do not say whether you have any income from your self employment or not.
    NOT AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME

Having done a swift calculation for universal credit with your earnings being nil then you would be eligible for some UC.
    YES however my wife brings home £1600 per month from a part time job but that leaves us still over £2300 in arrears each month given all of the outgoings.

It would be helpful to know what figures you have used to complete the UC application.  It would appear that when you did it you were receiving some income from your self employment?
    NOT AT THE TIME OF THE CLAIM

I have recently been diagnosed with a form of epilepsy by my neurologist, have mental health issues as a result of the anxiety and financial worry which are now on my medical record. I'm a homeowner (for the time being at least which rules me out of many benefit options. Not sure what to do as I have never been in this situation before and have never claimed any benefits since leaving school many years ago.

• The only thing I can offer you is this advice. Whoever you owe money to contact them to inform them you have issues and try to offer at least something for time being. Citizen Advice is always worth a visit on how to approach this before you do anything. I'd be there ASAP.
  • If you  have a condition that prevents you from working (or restricts your hours)  then you can put in a fit note then  have an assessment. You could also claim PIP (not means tested) if you meet the criteria.
    But even will all of that you're not going to get close to the £530pw you currently need.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2023 at 9:03PM
    To add: the home you live in is discounted for means tested benefits..i.e. not counted as capital so won't prevent you getting benefits other than of course help with rent as you won't have any.

But just quickly looking I'm inclined to reiterate what HSB above says... your outgoings are far too high to sustain even if we started looking in the medium term to benefit entitlements you could get due to things like your current illness/disablements plus U/C if calculations have not been correctly done. So unusually for this board I would say while looking at getting entitlements I think even more important is looking at outgoings... hammer down what you can, speak to mortgage lender... speak to others you owe monies to. Obviously try to find work too as that could be a fix all.

There's otherwise lots of advice generally can be given to reduce costs including perhaps getting discounts on water bills...using community larders etc.. but really this is going to require a lot of thinking about... maybe CAB can help.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Have a look at the debt-free-wannabe forum,  you will get advice of what can / can't be done to reduce outgoings.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • What years were your children born?  We can do a manual UC calculation a) just to make sure and b) if there is nothing you qualify for, to help you understand why that's so.

But whether there's any small entitlement to UC or not, reducing your outgoings if you possibly can looks like the most helpful way forward.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,048
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What years were your children born?  We can do a manual UC calculation a) just to make sure and b) if there is nothing you qualify for, to help you understand why that's so.

But whether there's any small entitlement to UC or not, reducing your outgoings if you possibly can looks like the most helpful way forward.
    I did the UC calculation based on the figure of £15K per annum earnings of your wife.   If your wife is taking home £1600 a month then this is a lot more than £15K a year.  Which figures are correct?

You can do a benefits calculation yourself by going to www.entitledto.co.uk.

However, I have to agree with the comments above.  Your shortfall will not be made up by any benefits.

Posting on the Debtfree board is an excellent idea.  (It is not only for people with debt).  The people there are excellent at suggesting ways to reduce outgoings and increase income.

Please speak to your mortgage company and explain the situation.  They may allow you to go interest only for a period or give you a mortgage holiday or increase your length of time to repay.  This is important because it is likely to be your largest outgoing and could give you some breathing space while you 'sort everything'.

In the end, the simple truth is you need to rethink your job situation and look for anything to tide you over until you find your permanent one.

Good luck.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,180
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 December 2023 at 4:05PM
    What years were your children born?  We can do a manual UC calculation a) just to make sure and b) if there is nothing you qualify for, to help you understand why that's so.

I did the UC calculation based on the figure of £15K per annum earnings of your wife.   If your wife is taking home £1600 a month then this is a lot more than £15K a year.  Which figures are correct?
    Did you include potential LCWRA?

I just wanted to be able to give OP a breakdown of it, clearly setting it out so they could see each element, how UC makes deductions, and how their overall income at present compares.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback