Virgin bank criteria

I started an application for a basic virginmoney joint account, for which I was only asked to enter my details to begin with. However on submission of that data I was declined before even entering my wife's details.
I have a well paid job, mortgage and 2 credit cards with an unblemished record so was very surprised to be declined. Do virginmoney have very strict criteria?
I've double checked credit karma and Experian, both show no issues so am at a loss as to why they may decline.

Comments

• How basic?  Some banks only offer the very basic accounts to those that aren't entitled to any other account.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • How basic?  Some banks only offer the very basic accounts to those that aren't entitled to any other account.

It was the M plus account, the one just below the account with a monthly fee.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,057
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2023 at 10:12PM
    That wouldn't ba a factor then, that's for confirming.
    The trouble with banks they don't tell you why you have been refused, can be a number of reasons including an error on their part.
    As it's going to me a joint account, have you tried your wife's details then trying to add yourself?
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • This often happens with Virgin current accounts. I found that 3 or 4 days later they review the decision and allow account to be opened.
    Maybe try again but start with your wife's details and then add yours later.
  • Thank you both, I will give it to start of next week and try with her details first. Otherwise we're both with nationwide so we'll go in-store and open one there - it's just the app isn't great for budgeting.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,337
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2023 at 7:51AM
    Try Monzo or Starling if you want a bank with an app that's good for budgeting. Failing that, pretty much every other banks app is better than Nationwide's - they seem to focus on older customers who aren't interested in anything remotely modern.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback