Clutch repair problem

alexb123
alexb123 Posts: 117
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 27 November 2023 at 11:29AM in Consumer rights
Hi All,

My car had a clutch change. It began to slip almost straightaway. Took it back he did an adjustment, it improved. But soon went back to slipping. I messaged the garage a number of times and all messages were ignored over a couple of months. 

I then sent a much firmer email mentioning legal obligations etc and he then replied. He was clearly very moody, even attacking in his reply. He also stated that the clutch repair was under guarantee and to take it in. 

However, he has looked at the car once. He had ignored me for many months and then he has been aggressive in his reply. I do not want to take my car to this garage, I do not trust him, the relationship has in my view broken down.  What are my rights? Thank you

Comments

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,272
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2023 at 11:42AM
    If after 1 repeat performance the service does not conform you may seek a price reduction (up to the full amount).

Can you take the car to another garage to have the work looked at?

If it's not good then it get fixed at the other garage and go back to the first garage for a refund of any extra costs (inspection and repair/replace of the clutch). 

Given what you've said that might not go down well, how long has this garage been in business? 
  • Do you know if the clutch fitted was a manufacturer's spare or a generic brand? It might be relevant to know.  A garage replaced the clutch in my Honda CR-V with a generic one which failed spectacularly in a chicane on a motorway.  It was terrifying and I had to limp to the services in 3rd, the only gear I could get.  When they replaced the clutch again, it failed.  The third time round I insisted on a genuine Honda part and that was fine. 
  • alexb123
    alexb123 Posts: 117
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Yes, I will take to another garage. And regarding the part, I actually asked for a receipt for the part, and my request was ignored. It might have been the reason he got moody. Very scary story, and i suspect this might explain what's happened. I will make another request with the garage for the receipt. Cheers all :) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback