Loud tap/pipes

When my bathroom mixer tap is on medium flow for cold the water makes a really, really loud whooshing sound through the pipes (which you can hear in other rooms). There's no loud sound when the cold tap is on low or max, though. Why is this? And if there anything I can do to fix it?

Comments

• Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,171
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It is air trapped in the system. Call a plumber who knows something about  heating systems if bleeding the radiators doesn't help. It is typically get worse over time and at some point becomes untolerable. 
  • badatDIY said:
    When my bathroom mixer tap is on medium flow for cold the water makes a really, really loud whooshing sound through the pipes (which you can hear in other rooms). There's no loud sound when the cold tap is on low or max, though. Why is this? And if there anything I can do to fix it?

What type of water system do you have?
    A combi boiler?
    If a stored hot water cylinder, then is it vented or unvented? (If you don't know, please post a photo).
    Has this tap always done this
    Many moons ago I fitted a 'waterfall'-style basin tap in an en-suite, and that baby roared in use. My incoming mains pressure (a combi system) was a touch high, tho' not excessively, but I still fitted a PRV to reduce it to just below 3 bar (it had been a wee bit above). This helped, but didn't cure.
    The proper fix came when the tap self-destructed. It was clearly a cheapo Chinese import, and had lots of plastic parts controlling the mechanism. Best thing it ever did.
    The replacement tap - ceramic cartridges - are quiet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback