National Insurance - guidance

Hi all - I've been requested to send the HMRC details of all the National Insurance payments I made in 22-23. I'm struggling to read on my P60 that work have issued what was actually paid by me - when I add up all the deductions from my pay slip it even comes to a different amount! Has my payroll dept messed up...?

Comments

• Hi all - I've been requested to send the HMRC details of all the National Insurance payments I made in 22-23. I'm struggling to read on my P60 that work have issued what was actually paid by me - when I add up all the deductions from my pay slip it even comes to a different amount! Has my payroll dept messed up...?
    Some more context may help... I had ended a job and got a final wage in April 22, which overlapped with starting my new job in April 22. My NICs on my wage slip for final wage slip says 445.18, then I combined all the wage slips for the new job in the 22-23 year and my NICs is over £9k, but the Employee's contributions due on all earnings above the PT on the P60 says £5.6k... they want to see the P60, but should I also send them my wage slips as proof as that's not what I've paid. (I noticed they adjusted it down half way through the year, so something must have been off)
  • Does the final payslip for tax year ‘Employees NI to date’ figure correspond with the P60?

Also note that NIC for a previous job will not appear on the P60 for the new job.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,603
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you combining employee ni deductions and employer ni?
  • digestivebiscuit
    digestivebiscuit Posts: 3
    First Post
    edited 22 January at 2:51PM
    purdyoaten2- checking my last payslip has made a lot more sense. Has been handy though as I've just spotted I've been on emergency tax for most of last year!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,557
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2023 at 2:46PM
    I noticed they adjusted it down half way through the year, so something must have been off
    The NI rates changed twice, Jul and Nov, in the 22-23 tax year.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback