Which trade do I need for water temp issues.

Hi, not sure whether I need a plumber or a boiler engineer and quite what I’m asking them to look at: advice appreciated:
we have a combi boiler and electric showers x2. Both showers have the same problem: can’t seem to control the temperature at all: it’s a liveable temp not scalding or freezing but a bit annoying. I reckon the showers are around 10-15 years old. 
Also, When I drop the water temp on the boiler I don’t notice it dropping in any of the hot taps: the hot water is too hot for kids to wash their hands - especially when we have the heating on. Are the two issues related do you think? Is this a job for a boiler engineer or do I also need a plumber to look at the showers?
thanks

Comments

• Hi Jen.
    More info, please, as it's not quite clear.
    1) Are you saying that both showers are electric type?
    2) You do not have a shower working off your combi boiler?
    3) Make and model of the showers?
    4) Make and model of the combi boiler?
    5) Are you in a hard water area?
    6) Have you noticed a drop in your cold kitchen tap flow rate recently, or from around the time you had these problems?

Some points, tho', electric showers have nothing to do with combi boilers - they heat the cold mains instantly as required. The combi doesn't come on for this.
    Instead of electric showers, you could have one or both showers working from your combi boiler (tho' only one at a time), and this would usually give you a much better shower. It would, of course, require you to replace the leccy shower with a thermostatic shower mixer.
    Most combis can have their hot water (DHW) temperature adjusted, but we'd need to know the make and model.

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,254
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As above, electric showers use cold water source, so no link to your boiler. They might just be knackered. We had ours changed by a heating engineer, but he was family. Hot water is supposed to be hot - if you want it cooler at the taps, you would best be looking at mixer valves on the outlets, not the boiler temperature, in my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree that combi linked showers are better than electric ones.  

I'd speak to a heating engineer as they should know all you need in relation to the boiler.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    FAR superior showers, Phil! At least twice the flow, usually much more - especially in winter.

The only thing I can think of that could possibly connect all of Jen's symptoms, is if the incoming mains flow has dropped off recently. But, hopefully she'll reply with more info. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,232
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Bigphil1474 said: I'm not sure I agree that combi linked showers are better than electric ones.
    Heating water with gas is going to be cheaper than with electricity. In terms of flow, unless you get a pumped power shower, there is no difference between gas or electric.
    Only recently had a gas combi installed here, but have been using an electric shower for some time - Well worth investing in a thermostatic shower. Do like my Triton T80Z, and if I ever plumb a shower in to the combi, I'd still retain it.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Thanks everyone for responding. You’ve definitely exposed my ignorance in this area! 
    It’s been an issue since we moved in 18months ago. Not got worse (or better). 
    The two showers look identical and have exactly the same issue - they were put in by previous owners. I can’t see a make on the showers - photo attached. Not had any problems with cold water flow rate. The boiler is a glow worm combi.  And yes we are in a hard water area. 

• ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    Lol, Jen :smile:
    Them's not electric showers, but 'mixers', which do run off the combi.
    On the temp control knob, can you see a temp scale showing oC?
    And, can you explain exactly what the showering issue you are having is? 

• ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    JenJam111 said:
    Thanks everyone for responding. You’ve definitely exposed my ignorance in this area! 
    It’s been an issue since we moved in 18months ago. Not got worse (or better). 
    The two showers look identical and have exactly the same issue - they were put in by previous owners. I can’t see a make on the showers - photo attached. Not had any problems with cold water flow rate. The boiler is a glow worm combi.  And yes we are in a hard water area. 

When you adjust the tap temp using these buttons, what does the display show?
  • Lol, Jen :smile:
    Them's not electric showers, but 'mixers', which do run off the combi.
    On the temp control knob, can you see a temp scale showing oC?
    And, can you explain exactly what the showering issue you are having is? 

Thank you! See this is why I’m asking here first: so I don’t look like a total ignoramus when I get trades in :)
    basically when you turn the temperature dial on either shower nothing happens. It’s got good water pressure just can’t change the temperature. When the heating is on it’s definitely hotter than when it’s off and is just about tolerable but it would be nice to be able to have it a bit cooler…
    no 0c just as pictured and when it put all the way to cold it’s the same as if it’s all the way to hot or anywhere in between…

• ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    edited 20 November 2023 at 8:55PM
    Thanks - that's what I was looking for (by oC, I mean degrees-centigrade, not 'zero')
    Ok, these are thermostatic mixers, so should be able to maintain a stable temp when set.
    That they don't, the most likely situation is that the thermostat cartridges inside are scaled up and no longer work - that is very common after a few years.
    Solutions are to repair the existing mixers by swapping the cartridges, or to replace the whole mixer unit.
    Examine it closely for a brand name etched onto it.
    Failing that, you need a plumber - just an 'ordinary' one, no need for a GasSafe (tho' that's ok too). 
    Try and find a recommended local fellow, and explain the problem when you call them up - "thermostatic shower mixer running from a combi, cannot adjust temp".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback