PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council bungalow and small amount of equity

2»

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,635 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ras it's owned jointly...I'm going to try and set up a meeting with him at my daughters house. I know he will want my half of the 3yrs mortgage that he has paid since I left which would be around £10000 and £20000 in debts to be paid off. The house is worth around 140000 and we still owe 25000 on the mortgage so my share would be 57500 minus the 30000 above which would leave me 27500. He did offer me a settlement figure of 25000 when I first left. I maybe better accepting the settlement and being free from any communication and ties to the house. I'm not sure where that would leave me with my housing situation though. 
    It doesn't work like that and you really need proper advice before you do anything. Do not meet your ex or make arrangements without legal advice both on the house and on the tenancy.

Are you married to the ex? Or just partners? 
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Who do the debts belong to?  Yours or Joint?
  • I know he will want my half of the 3yrs mortgage that he has paid since I left 
    It doesn't work like that. Is he also paying all your rent for the last 3 years? As others suggest, proper legal advice is essential.

He can wish for all he wants, but the law knows or can decide what is right.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure