Colour codes

Comparing old and new photos on Zoopla I can see our vendor has done some redecorating. Would be reasonable to get in touch with them, may be via the estate agent, asking for colour codes of the paints used? failing this, is there maybe an online resource where one could look up colours using the photos?..

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,271
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Contacting the vendor will be the best way.
    Trying to get a colour match using images taken on a phone is doomed to failure - Every device will render colours slightly differently. It might get you close enough to pick out some sample cards or tester pots. But I would strongly recommend you do not get a whole tin mixed based on a phone image.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,345
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My experience is that most vendors are very happy to give info about things you like about their place.  Ours left us a number of paint pots so that we can do touch ups if/when required.  And they left us the most marvellous book full of garden plans showing every major plant in the garden complete with latin names and labels from things they had purchased.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie said:
    My experience is that most vendors are very happy to give info about things you like about their place.  Ours left us a number of paint pots so that we can do touch ups if/when required.  And they left us the most marvellous book full of garden plans showing every major plant in the garden complete with latin names and labels from things they had purchased.  
    Ohhh... what a lovely idea! 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,326
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Depends on how nice you are too them when buying as I planned to do just that..............mine made my life miserable trying to find a loop hole so I took the £500 worth of gardening tools with me. Very sad because they have dug out a 50yr old peony worth a fortune and all the musk roses and concreted over the lot :'(

But yes, if you are a helpful buyer they should give a lot of help willingly. We all love our homes and hope someone else will love them too.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,167
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @twopenny we are about to find out.  Our viewpoint is that their "no sale no fee" solicitor recommended by C... made our life very difficult. 
    @Brie - should we approach them directly or via the EA? We have email and phone - both are on the paperwork. 
  • Bear in mind that, if things have been painted for some time , then the colours might have faded a bit so, even if you use the same paint, there's a chance that it won't match.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,207
    Forumite
    Bear in mind that, if things have been painted for some time , then the colours might have faded a bit so, even if you use the same paint, there's a chance that it won't match.
    Also I think there is some get out clause written on the paint tin, that the colour may vary from tin to tin.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,346
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Emily_Joy said:
    @twopenny we are about to find out.  Our viewpoint is that their "no sale no fee" solicitor recommended by C... made our life very difficult. 
    @Brie - should we approach them directly or via the EA? We have email and phone - both are on the paperwork. 
    When we bought our house, there were numerous part-used paint tins left behind. You may find that your vendors no longer know what colours they used.

There's a Dulux colour visualiser app that has the sort of functionality you want. It works - to an extent! We used it to match some paint, so we could touch it up instead of repainting the whole room, and the colour match looks okay in daylight but not so good when the lights are on.

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Ksw3
    Ksw3 Posts: 328
    Forumite
    Are you near a DIY store? They usually sell a limited range and our new house is painted in quite a few of them. 
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,167
    Forumite
    Ksw3 said:
    Are you near a DIY store? They usually sell a limited range and our new house is painted in quite a few of them. 
    Alas, no: there used to be Wilko in our small town, now all major chains are about 8 miles away.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback