PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Transfering title of property

Hi.  I was hoping for some advice about property my mum and dad owned.

They had 2 homes, a "four in a block" type or cottage flats in Glasgow.  One upstairs and the other one below.  My mum passed away 3 years ago and the upstairs property was transferred to my brother.  The solicitor who dealt with the transfer said the fee was £250 plus VAT plus registration dues of £440.  My brother paid this and the matter was closed.

My dad lived in the downstairs property but he passed away in May and in his will this property was left to myself.  I used a different solicitor and they have sent me a form to sign agreeing to their fees.  This time they have said the fee is £500 plus VAT plus registration fees of disposition of £140 plus legal report £51.

I did try doing it without going to a solicitor but Land Registry advised to get legal help.

I have not approached the solicitor about why the fees this time are so different to the other one we used, does anyone know if these look correct?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,272
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 November 2023 at 7:59AM
    The current quotes look about right. Every solicitor is going to have a different minimum fee for getting out of bed (plus there have been 3 years of inflation). You can shop around if you like.

    I'm not sure how the registration fees for the previous one came to £440 - are you sure there wasn't something else included in that? The (current) registration fees are here (depend on what value you're declaring the flat as being).
  • Largs
    Largs Posts: 179
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    user1977 said:
    The current quotes look about right. Every solicitor is going to have a different minimum fee for getting out of bed (plus there have been 3 years of inflation). You can shop around if you like.

    I'm not sure how the registration fees for the previous one came to £440 - are you sure there wasn't something else included in that? The (current) registration fees are here (depend on what value you're declaring the flat as being).
    Hi.  Thanks for that, you have put my mind at rest a bit. Not sure about the £440, I only have a letter (I was executor) saying the registration dues totalling £440 would be deducted from my brother's share of the estate.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,272
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Largs said:
    user1977 said:
    The current quotes look about right. Every solicitor is going to have a different minimum fee for getting out of bed (plus there have been 3 years of inflation). You can shop around if you like.

    I'm not sure how the registration fees for the previous one came to £440 - are you sure there wasn't something else included in that? The (current) registration fees are here (depend on what value you're declaring the flat as being).
    Hi.  Thanks for that, you have put my mind at rest a bit. Not sure about the £440, I only have a letter (I was executor) saying the registration dues totalling £440 would be deducted from my brother's share of the estate.
    If it had been a first registration then it might have included getting copy deeds.
  • Beth096
    Beth096 Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The split is different but you'll be paying basically the same as your brother. 

    £250 plus VAT = £300 + £440 = £740

    £500 plus VAT = £600 + £140 = £740

    Only the legal report is an additional cost
  • Largs
    Largs Posts: 179
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Beth096 said:
    The split is different but you'll be paying basically the same as your brother. 

    £250 plus VAT = £300 + £440 = £740

    £500 plus VAT = £600 + £140 = £740

    Only the legal report is an additional cost
    I hadn't actually calculated the totals!!!  Glad I asked now, thanks for that.  :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards