Tax on two jobs

Hoping someone can help me, I have looked for info on Google but finding it confusing.

I currently work a part time job earning £4968 per year. I have applied for another job which which will be around £7260. My tax code at the moment is 1131N, how will tax work with the two jobs? And will it still work out better to have the marriage allowance?

Comments

• jemima72 said:
    Hoping someone can help me, I have looked for info on Google but finding it confusing.

I currently work a part time job earning £4968 per year. I have applied for another job which which will be around £7260. My tax code at the moment is 1131N, how will tax work with the two jobs? And will it still work out better to have the marriage allowance?
    You will end up paying ~£183 in tax whilst your spouse saves £252 if they get the full benefit of Marriage Allowance.

So you could avoid paying that £183 but as a couple you would be worse off by nearly £70.

You should tick statement C on the new starter declaration and will pay 20% on your first pay from the new job.  But when HMRC are notified if that payment they will review your tax code and you will end up with new codes along the lines of,

Current job 496N (no tax to pay)
    New job 634T

Might be a little different this year as you are only earning for a few months at the new job.
  • jemima72
    jemima72 Posts: 37
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 November 2023 at 7:57AM
    jemima72 said:

You will end up paying ~£183 in tax whilst your spouse saves £252 if they get the full benefit of Marriage Allowance.

So you could avoid paying that £183 but as a couple you would be worse off by nearly £70.

You should tick statement C on the new starter declaration and will pay 20% on your first pay from the new job.  But when HMRC are notified if that payment they will review your tax code and you will end up with new codes along the lines of,

New job 634T

Might be a little different this year as you are only earning for a few months at the new job.
    Thank you, do you mean £183 is how much I will be paying after they split the allowance between jobs? Should this happen automatically or will need to chase them up? 
  • jemima72 said:
    jemima72 said:

New job 634T

Thank you, do you mean £183 is how much I will be paying after they split the allowance between jobs? Should this happen automatically or will need to chase them up? 
    Yes, because of applying for Marriage Allowance you will have to pay £183 more tax than you need to (next tax year, not this year where your new job is only for a few months).  But your spouse will likely save £252.

The new tax codes should be issued automatically by HMRC once your new employer files your first payslip details.

If you don't think the way the allowances are split is quite right for you you can update things on your Personal Tax Account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback