Central heating pipe - water trickling sound

housebuyer143
housebuyer143 Posts: 3,169
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
I am in my living room and just put on the heating so the pipes and radiators are now hot and the pipework coming from the ceiling feeding the radiator has a distinctive trickling sound as does the radiator.
The radiator in question stopped working a while ago and nothing I did got it back on so I just gave up on it, but last week I happened to touch it and it was luke warm - realising it wasn't beyond repair I balanced the system and got it back on again.
Since it's come back into action everytime I turn the heating on this loud trickling sound is happening. No water is leaking as far as I can tell and it's definitely coming from the pipes that run up the wall into the floor and then feed this radiator.

Any ideas what is causing this and will it go away on its own? 

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You balanced the system? On this rad, what is the lockshield set to - how many turns/part turns from closed? And what type of valve is the control? And which end heats up first?
    Wondering if it's a loose valve washer, so tinkles in the flowing water.
  • Thanks, I'll note these things down tomorrow when I turn it back on and let you know. 
  • Could well be air.  Turn system off, allow to cool down for 10 minutes, then bleed radiators. First ground floor radiators, then upwards.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback