Closure of bank account

My mother who is 93 years old has recently had her bank account closed by Barclays. They did not give her any notice that they would do this.  The account was a business account in her name under a trading name of my mother and my late father, who died in 2018. They have sent her a cheque for the balance (several thousand pounds) made out to joint names which obviously she won't be able to cash or pay into any other account.
When I called them to complain Barclays said that they called my mother on her landline about this at the beginning of August, she told them that they would have to call when her daughter (me) was with her and that I was on holiday at the time. We have always told Mum not to engage in conversation with anyone who calls her purporting to be from the bank and to drop the call. What a dangerous way Barclays chose to communicate with someone who is 93!
They had also sent a letter to her in Sept 22 to which we responded and gave them all the information they needed.
I have asked them to re-open the account and reinstate the balance as the account was closed improperly but I have been told that it could be up to 8 weeks to conclude complaints. They have a huge number according to one of the staff I talked to on the phone.
What is going on?
This is theft of an old lady's money!
How are they allowed to do this?

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,659
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The question would be was she operating a business account as a personal account?

Very likely thats a breach of terms and conditions if thats what has been happening, the age doesnt grant any immunity from this. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,055
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    At 93 was she still operating her business?

Is she still registered as self employed and doing her self assessment tax returns?

How is it theft if they have provided a cheque for the money the business had in the name of the business?

• la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    meg200 said:

They had also sent a letter to her in Sept 22 to which we responded and gave them all the information they needed 

Did this information also include news of the death of the other account holder (including copy of death cert?)
  • DullGreyGuy
    Forumite
    la531983 said:
    meg200 said:

They had also sent a letter to her in Sept 22 to which we responded and gave them all the information they needed 

Did this information also include news of the death of the other account holder (including copy of death cert?)
    OP suggests just the account is in her mums name alone with a trading name including her deceased husband's name
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    la531983 said:
    meg200 said:

OP suggests just the account is in her mums name alone with a trading name including her deceased husband's name
    Its not clear, nor is it clear what the 2022 letter was about and what was returned.
  • tryin
    tryin Posts: 347
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

Is she still registered as self employed and doing her self assessment tax returns?

How is it theft if they have provided a cheque for the money the business had in the name of the business?

If they provided a cheque she has no way of cashing, that's pretty much theft
  • DullGreyGuy
    Forumite
    edited 15 November 2023 at 2:58PM
    tryin said:

If they provided a cheque she has no way of cashing, that's pretty much theft
    How can she not cash it? If she still trading, which you'd assume she is despite her age given she's still got a sole trader account, then she just opens a new sole trader account elsewhere and deposit the cheque. If she is no longer a sole trader then there is a potentially legitimate question as to why she had a sole trader account and we may be getting towards why it's been closed. 

Sounds like they went through a fresh round of KYC last year, I know when HSBC threaten to close our account over KYC the proposed closure date was going to be just over a year from when they first asked for the "additional" information (there was nothing additional they just wanted the same things again)
  • I’m not sure why a 93 year old was using a business account, so if the business doesn’t operate any longer, it’s best to move her to a personal account with another bank (I’m surprised they haven’t closed it before now).

Howeverif it is a genuine business, then I’d open an account elsewhere and use that while waiting to get your complaint back from Barclay’s.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,181
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    meg200 said:
    They have sent her a cheque for the balance (several thousand pounds) made out to joint names which obviously she won't be able to cash or pay into any other account.

Why is the bank account still in joint names? If your father died some years ago. The bank isn't at fault here. 
  • The bank have done nothing wrong here and they  won’t reinstate a business account that was being used as a personal account. You need to get her to open a personal account ASAP so that she can get her pension paid into it. If the bank were never informed of your father’s death you need to do so now, and get them to issue a cheque in your mother’s name or to transfer the money into her account.

This is something that really should have been sorted by your father’s executors.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback