Can I warn about possible credit card fraud in online review

Justi
Justi Posts: 27
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 14 November 2023 at 12:22PM in Consumer rights
I recently bought some shoes from a new and slightly questionable company. About ten days later my credit card started getting hit with fraudulant transactions. This was the only unusual purchase I had made and it looks likely to me that someone in the shoe company is harvesting card details and selling them on. I would like to warn people in online reviews, not actually accusing this company but saying that while I cannot be sure the fraud originated from this trasaction it seems likely, and telling people to be cautious. Is this legal or could I be sued for defamation?

Comments

• Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,192
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you prove it?

• Justi
    Forumite
    I can prove everything I say, which is no more than that I bought these shoes and started getting fraudulent transactions soon after. I am not accusing the company, just telling people it seems likely it was them and be careful.

• Many small-medium companies don't get to see your card number at all, they use third party payment processors and just get given a token that represents your card in case they need to do a refund to it etc and the card details are stored by the processor. This avoids the merchant having to meet all the minimum requirements on storing such data.

Ultimately you can post whatever you want but it sounds speculative at a minimum and therefore potentially libellous 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,664
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Justi said:
    I recently bought some shoes from a new and slightly questionable company. About ten days later my credit card started getting hit with fraudulant transactions. This was the only unusual purchase I had made and it looks likely to me that someone in the shoe company is harvesting card details and selling them on. I would like to warn people in online reviews, not actually accusing this company but saying that while I cannot be sure the fraud originated from this trasaction it seems likely, and telling people to be cautious. Is this legal or could I be sued for defamation?
    You are aware that every retailer could have someone doing this. Even your local well used supermarket & someone is looking at their till roll in the back.
    Most card details are harvested a long time ago by groups & then sold onto other parties who will use them.

I would not do what you plan. You are opening yourself up to a world of pain.

Your bank will deal with it.
    Life in the slow lane
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,122
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As above, are you sure the site doesn't use a 3rd party payment provider, rather than processing your card payment themselves?
  • Justi
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone. I've not posted the review. I just wanted to warn others really, but I have now done that in a generic way in other forums rather than as a company specific review.
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,186
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don't think you said if you bought the shoes online or not but if you did buy them online are you absolutely sure your computer isn't compromised and that is how your card details were leaked?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback