Premium Bonds advice

Two of my close relatives pased away in the last year. I have good reason to believe that they had upwards of £35K savings in Premium Bonds, which were not acounted for in the estate. What is the best way to find out that they had savings and then confront the executor?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,932
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You won't have any rights to access the definitive information from NS&I so will have to challenge the executor with your suspicions.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,426
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    perhaps they are still in the estate - they can remain there and win prizes for the following 12 months, though in that case they should have been mentioned  or maybe they have been cashed in and included in some other figures
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,270
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ask to see the final Estate accounts. As a primary beneficiary you have the right to view them. 
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    You won't have any rights to access the definitive information from NS&I so will have to challenge the executor with your suspicions.

Well, that isn't going to happen, because the executor hasn't replied to any of my correspondence for nine months.
  • eskbanker
    Forumite
    andygb said:
    eskbanker said:
    Well, that isn't going to happen, because the executor hasn't replied to any of my correspondence for nine months.
    I didn't say it would be easy, just that this is the only realistic avenue, in that you don't have any other route of accessing the data you're looking for, but you may need to involve a solicitor....
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,675
    Forumite
    andygb said:
    eskbanker said:

Are you a beneficiary?  If so you can ask to see the estate accounts.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,193
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    andygb said:
    eskbanker said:
    I didn't say it would be easy, just that this is the only realistic avenue, in that you don't have any other route of accessing the data you're looking for, but you may need to involve a solicitor....
    I think a strongly worded solicitors letter reminding them of their legal duties as an executor, may well bring a response.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    andygb said:
    eskbanker said:
    I think a strongly worded solicitors letter reminding them of their legal duties as an executor, may well bring a response.

eskbanker said:
    andygb said:
    eskbanker said:

That was done a couple of weeks ago and no response.
  • eskbanker
    Forumite
    andygb said:
    eskbanker said:
    andygb said:
    eskbanker said:
    That was done a couple of weeks ago and no response.
    What's the solicitor's suggestion for next steps?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback