Self Assessment side job? PAYE full time. What do I need to do?

I have a PAYE job as my regular 9-5. But in the past few months I have started designing yoga mats and selling them on ESTY using printify to print and dispatch. You can have a gross income of £1000 before you need to do a self assessment form. So far I have made around £300 profit since launching in September. In terms of the £1000 obviously I include Esty fees in this but what about printify and the underlying costs of the mats etc? I am really the middle lady, the customer requests one of my designs from my shop and printify fullfills

Comments

• I have a PAYE job as my regular 9-5. But in the past few months I have started designing yoga mats and selling them on ESTY using printify to print and dispatch. You can have a gross income of £1000 before you need to do a self assessment form. So far I have made around £300 profit since launching in September. In terms of the £1000 obviously I include Esty fees in this but what about printify and the underlying costs of the mats etc? I am really the middle lady, the customer requests one of my designs from my shop and printify fullfills
    The £1,000 related to turnover.

Once you hit that you will need to register for Self Assessment.  As you are registering due to self employment I think you need to complete a CWF1.

If the business started in the current tax year then the deadline for registering is early October 2024.  But there is no point leaving it to the last minute.

First tax return (which is for all taxable income) would normally have to completed by 31 January 2025 and any tax owed paid by the same date.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback